Question for the 3-d shooters out there

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
I got a few questions for ya on geting started since Im getting serious with this stuff. Most of my shooting will be at bucksbeards and benton shooters shoots.

I tihnk I should be in the hunter or novice class? What is the difference?

What is the speed limit? Isnt it like 280 fps?

How many pins am I allowed to have?

what length stabilizer can I use and can I use one?

Anything else I need to know?

LA man

i am deffinantly no expert but ill give u my opinion. if u are going to be hunting with the bow then get in the hunters class. i never heard of a speed for a 3d shoot. i would guess that any amount of pens are allowed and the stabilizer that u hunt with is good. however if u are just getting into 3d, u should get into the novice class.maybe give benton or the other place a call and ask them

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
John & Teresa - EWA said:
It all depends on the location. Some follow ASA rules, some follow IBO and other clubs have their own. You need to check with each location you shoot at.

Both are IBO...I think

and yes I am shooting my hunting steup but will will change accessories if needed.

bobthebowhunter

I think b2b is asa 280 max that is why I don't shoot there. don't know about the other one

b2b has a forum you can join I think greg is the guy who runs those shoots.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
bobthebowhunter said:
I think b2b is asa 280 max that is why I don't shoot there. don't know about the other one

b2b has a forum you can join I think greg is the guy who runs those shoots.

Im a member there. StoegerShooter, Im the one who came up with the team contest. I think Jason Caldwell is one of the ones who run that bunch also.

bucks2beards is a member on this site??? Jason? marc? whoever you are come on out :D

stik

LA man said:
i never heard of a speed for a 3d shoot.

i have never been to a 3D shoot that didn't have a speed limit.

as to the questions, hunter class is 40 yd. max. novice is 30 yd. max. no limit on pins and no stabilizer longer than 12 inches.

Crow Terminator

If Benton still does like they did when I shot, in the bow hunter class you had to have fixed pins, screw in field tips, and 4" minimum feathers/veins. Speed didn't matter.

I've never shot at the other place.

I do know this though...go with the regular bowhunter class. The novice class is always full of sandbaggers.

BowGuy84

From what Crow Terminator said Benton would be IBO...5 grain per pound arrows and the restrictions he listed for hunter class. Also no magnification lens.

ASA is 280 with 3% error so 286fps max. No restrictions on vane length and 5 pin max

Stabilizer on both is 12in from point of attachment.

Any other questions check each (IBO and ASA) website. Its a great sport just dont take it to serious so shooting becomes unfun. Also invest in a quality pair of binoculars if u dont have them. Try some at shoots and find what you have to have to see the 12 or 11 ring and get them. Good luck

bucks2beards

Benton and B2B are both follow ASA rules ,however Benton is not a ASA "club" but follows there rules as far as speed limits and yardage for classes I am not sure about the screw in points and fletching ,I think they changed that a few years back.Anywhere you can shoot your bow and practice for deer season no matter what club it is ,is going to help you in your ultimate goal"GETTING BETTER".