Question for BSK

BSK

We do not do anything to promote specific trees or groves of trees, simply because White and Red Oaks are our predominant tree. In essence, they are everywhere. They make up 80% of our forest species.

However, we do make habitat changes that create pockets of good oaks in specific locations. For example, we leave mature oaks along the crests of ridges, while cutting the timber on adjoining hillsides. This is an attempt - in a good acorn year - to draw deer out of the hillside cover up onto the more open ridge-tops for hunting.

Now if I'm working on a property where oaks are limited, I recommend that competing non-oaks in a mixed species stand be removed. Acorn production is a function of tree crown size. The larger the crown, the more acorns produced. So by removing adjacent non-oaks, this allows the oaks to increase their crown size by filling in the openings created by removing adjacent trees.

BSK

DoubleRidge

I've heard Dr Harper speak on this topic and from the study that his students performed it's clear that spending money on chainsaw gas to remove junk trees and open the forest canopy will bring a greater return on investment verses spending money on fertilizer.

Also....in some cases acorn production can be increased by actually removing some of your oak trees....remove crowded oak trees and allow the crown to open and grow larger on the trees that remain.... reducing competition around your best producers is much more effective than any fertilizer.

Latest posts