Question about pears?

timberjack86

I was thinking about planting some fruit trees on the back of my property near bedding areas deer use. My question is that, I have some pear and apple trees in my yard and cannot keep the squirrels and birds from consuming them before they get ripe. So if I buy 8-10 trees and plant them what do you guys do to stop the squirrels and birds from wiping out the pear and apple fruits before they get ripe and fall for the deer? I can kill all the squirrels I can and they still get the fruit in my yard.

Boll Weevil

The only thing I can really think of is rig up something to keep them from climbing the tree (provided there aren't nearby trees that they can jump from). Maybe some smooth sheetmetal wrapped around the trunks that they can't climb?

They're pretty nimble, resourceful little devils though...might be a pretty tall order.

PickettSFHunter

Interesting. Ive not had that issue to bad but have seen it. I would make sure my fruit trees were out far in the open, not near any timber for the squirrels to cross in and out of. Far from timber= susceptible to predators.Find the den trees nearby and whack them down. A wire cage wouldnt stop a squirrel but may discourage them.

timberjack86

I could tie my cur dog in the middle of the until they get ripe. It sounds crazy but it might work. I did the same thing with my beagle in the garden it stopped the rabbits till the corn got big enough.

Latest posts