Question about Clover

PcDeer

I have about an acre of Durana clover that is looking great and the deer are eating like crazy. For this reason I've decided to let it stand this fall and just do some maintenance on the existing plot. Only problem is that there are a wide variety of both grasses and broad leafs scattered around that I need to spray. I sprayed with 2-4 db last fall and that did a pretty good job on broad leafs but I don't know what to spray to kill off the different types of grass. I considered ordering some raptor but the prices I've found on that stuff made me laugh. What do you guys spray with to clean up your clover plots? Thanks

ADR

smstone22":3hk2c7ha said:
Active ingredient clethodim on the grasses

This, just be aware it can take several days to see results. Many people mix 2-4db with clethodim together but the labels as I read them didn't recommend it.

PcDeer

I will give clethodim a try here in the next week or so. Mowing would have definitely helped I believe. I've had a good bit of dozer work done around this plot making it bigger this summer, so I thought I would be starting from scratch this fall. I appreciate all of the advice already. I will save some time and money by maintaining the clover in this plot. I'm planning on planting my ol go to of oats, wheat, and clover in the newly cleared area around my existing stand of clover.

PcDeer

I finally got it sprayed on Sunday morning. 2-4 db is already doing its thing on the broad leaf plants. Was fortunate enough to dodge the rain to this point. I was afraid it would rain about the time I finished Sunday.

PcDeer

No I didn't mix the two together. I was spraying about an acre. I mixed 12 oz of Cleth in 25 gallon of water. I then mixed 2 1/2 quart of 2-4 db with 25 gallon of water. Everything I read said mixing the two would weaken the clethodim. I don't know if it would have made any difference or not.

PcDeer

Picture of the plot a week after spraying. Mowing it went a long way in controlling the weeds, but spraying is on its way to completely knocking out the rest of the problem. Deer have not let up on it since it was planted. I am a true believer in Durana clover.

Hunter 257W

Vermin93":xilr8mkk said:
What mix ratio for the Rural King product?

Off the top of my head, I have no idea. I jus follow the label instructions for the amount per acre, mix that in with the amount of water I think it'll take to cover the field. Sometimes I over estimate the amount of water needed and have to run over the field again.

PcDeer

Ha that shooting house is made out of scrap saw mill lumber I had laying around. I figured it would be beyond use in a few years but it's been solid for about 15 years now. Killed many a deer out of it. On another note I got the rest of my plots in today. Planted oats and wheat with some rape in a couple and whitetail institute winter greens in another. I've never planted the wi winter greens. Looking forward to seeing if they are as good as advertised

Latest posts