Question about BLM Maps

4onaside

Not totally sure that I understand your question, but I assume that the maps(at least the ones that I have seen) accurately depict the metes and bounds of the BLM lands. However, the problem that you and I have in accessing these PUBLIC lands, is that much of it is leased to private individuals, ranches, etc. So for all practical purposes those lands that are leased are no different than privately owned lands, posted, etc.

Quiver

I thought BLM was only leased for grazing rights. How do you know what is leased and what is public access?

4onaside

Well, grazing rights and ranching equate to the same thing, at least in the two BLM states about which I am familiar, Colorado and New Mexico. You generally know those on which you are welcome by the absence of fences, and locked gates. If you have an interest in hunting on specific areas of BLM land, why don't you contact the BLM or the particular state Dept of Wildlife and determine which parcels are open for public access and which are leased? I have a New Mexico map showing the BLM lands in that state. At casual glance, it appears that a huge amount of the state land area is BLM. However, when you start trying to determine how much is available to the public, much of the existing area is "off limits".

jarhead7481

It has been explained to me that if the land is accessible by any road (federal, state, county, forest service road, etc..) it can be utilized by the public. If you must traverse over private property you must gain permission from that owner. A general of thumb is to close all gates unless wired open. below is the FAQ on land use in Colorado. I usually hunt Montana or Wyoming, but the rules are pretty much the same. To add the BLM Maps are pretty accurate most generally when it comes to to your question.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Informa ... ccess.html

How do I gain access to federal public lands?

Legal access to federal land is provided by a system of public and agency roads and trails. Public roads are intended to meet the transportation needs of the public user. Generally, a public road is any federal or state highway or county road administered by the state or county. BLM and USFS roads and trails are maintained for the administration and use of federal lands. Although generally open to the public, agency officials may restrict or control the use of these roads. Restrictions may be imposed for protection of sensitive or critical resources or to meet specific management needs. Land management agencies do not always have legal rights-of-way on all access roads or trails entering federal lands.

Authorized private use of federal land, such as livestock grazing, does not allow the lessee to post or sign the land as being private. The lessee of federal lands cannot deny legal access or charge an access fee for others to use such lands.

What if I'm denied access to federal public lands?

If you think you are illegally denied access to federal lands, you are asked to contact either the administering agency or use the Colorado toll-free hotline 1-800-332-4155 (for in-state use only).

Radar

jarhead7481 said:
It has been explained to me that if the land is accessible by any road (federal, state, county, forest service road, etc..) it can be utilized by the public. If you must traverse over private property you must gain permission from that owner. A general of thumb is to close all gates unless wired open. below is the FAQ on land use in Colorado. I usually hunt Montana or Wyoming, but the rules are pretty much the same. To add the BLM Maps are pretty accurate most generally when it comes to to your question.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/BLM_Informa ... ccess.html

How do I gain access to federal public lands?

Legal access to federal land is provided by a system of public and agency roads and trails. Public roads are intended to meet the transportation needs of the public user. Generally, a public road is any federal or state highway or county road administered by the state or county. BLM and USFS roads and trails are maintained for the administration and use of federal lands. Although generally open to the public, agency officials may restrict or control the use of these roads. Restrictions may be imposed for protection of sensitive or critical resources or to meet specific management needs. Land management agencies do not always have legal rights-of-way on all access roads or trails entering federal lands.

Authorized private use of federal land, such as livestock grazing, does not allow the lessee to post or sign the land as being private. The lessee of federal lands cannot deny legal access or charge an access fee for others to use such lands.

What if I'm denied access to federal public lands?

If you think you are illegally denied access to federal lands, you are asked to contact either the administering agency or use the Colorado toll-free hotline 1-800-332-4155 (for in-state use only).

Good info !

4onaside

Aside from and in spite of what the "law" says about your access to BLM lands, from a practical matter much of it is not "open" to hunting. Think about it. You have to apply for almost all tags in the West. This involves applying several months in advance of your hunt, and for a specific, relatively small, Game Management Unit. Obviously, you are going to be fairly certain that you have a specific place to hunt before you send your money. Just determining that there is BLM land in the GMU is really not enough, that is, if you want a place to hunt when you get out there, without any hassle. If you show up and find a locked gate, and go to the local law and complain, aren't you going to be the loser? Do you have 3 or 4 days of your precious hunting time to squander just to prove that you are right and to gain access? Chances are the local law enforcement are going to personally know the lessee. Who are they going to side with, in spite of who is right? If it were me, I would point myself in the direction of the millions of acres of National Forest Lands. No hassle. Just get out of your truck and hunt. The exception to this, of course, is a guided hunt. The local guide knows what BLM land is leased, by whom, and has probably already made arrangements with the lessee for access. I guarantee if he has a client, he knows where he is going to take that client.

Latest posts