Pyrodex or 777 loose

encore06

I have about a third of a can of pyrodex left over from a few years back before I switched to 777 pellets. This year I'm going back to the loose powder. Thought about buying a new can of 777, but I hate to let the pyrodex go to waste. What do you think?

CHRIS WILSON

I used 777 pellets the first season I hunted with an mz. I switched to loose 777 and never regretted it. Personally, if the pyrodex is a few seasons old, I'd get something more fresh. It may be ok, then again it may not.

roundball

Carl said:
"...This year I'm going back to the loose powder..."
As another possibility, since you're going to switch anyway, try a can of real Goex blackpowder...never met a hunter yet who switched to Goex blackpowder then went back to using a BP substitute...Goex is fast, clean and accurate...the down side is you have to find a place that carries it or order it from places like Powder, Inc...or Graf & Sons, etc...they have 4 pound minimums.

But in addition to it being arguably the best real blackpowder, when I order it by the 25 pound case the delivered price to my front porch is only $11/pound...best stuff since sliced bread.

postal rage

Model70Man said:
777 is less corrosive and is WAY easier to clean. If I was in your situation I would make the switch. That's just me though.

Agree with Model70man, I switched last year to 777, and it works just as well, and a lot easier to clean.

Latest posts