Pumpkin/corn update

catman529

I mowed a bunch down today to make room for the pumpkins. I finally have a couple decent fruit growing on the Atlantic giant.

a115e8f00c984955398e5451d93e3683.jpg

The field pumpkins are growing pretty good, I gave them some 10-10-10 a couple days ago.

My honeydew had set a bunch of fruit that were almost ready to ripen, but then all the vines died, and I had unripe melons and some were starting to split and rot.

The cantaloupe produced a handful of small fruit, a couple of which I picked.

Every watermelon that set ended up with BER or just rotting out completely.

I said screw it and ran the mower and the weedeater over all the crap vines, and pulled some of the taller weeds by hand from between the pumpkin vines.

57e70d7daffb223fec131a1d0fb8068b.jpg

The raccoons ate most of my corn. I knocked it down to the ground and am considering a cover crop like clover or wheat.

f7b99faa3fb18c6b2917fe71a63385ee.jpg

The main focus now is to let the Connecticut field and Long Island cheese pumpkins grow out to the best I can get them.

573685fa11d422bf43602996680b7d47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM

yeah been a bad year for some. the 2 elderly couples up the road usually have excellent gardens, i dont think they harvested hardly anything because of the drought and heat we had here. i quit watering mine because i think my well was getting dry because of the air in the water. fine now though we finally got hammered with a week a solid rain.

those pumpkins look good and hope they finish out well for you.

smalljawbasser

Coons ate most of my corn too.

On the melons,pumpkins and cantaloupes, once they set fruit I spray with sevin and a fungus product every two weeks. We picked a ton of cantaloupes, but only after I started doing the sevin. I have to spray it, but the bugs were eating it as fast as I could grow it.

catman529

smalljawbasser":2eol57va said:
Coons ate most of my corn too.

On the melons,pumpkins and cantaloupes, once they set fruit I spray with sevin and a fungus product every two weeks. We picked a ton of cantaloupes, but only after I started doing the sevin. I have to spray it, but the bugs were eating it as fast as I could grow it.
bugs were surprisingly not an issue here. My main patch gave me several good size melons. This pumpkin patch produced a bunch of honeydew but the vines all died for some reason and left the fruit to rot. So Imowed em all down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

I hate to hear that about your corn. I got lucky with the coons this year. They never got into it the first time this year. The bugs have been another story. Sevin and pyrethrin have been my constant companion. You still have plenty of time to put out carrots and other fall crops. They have been pretty pest-proof for me. Do the cover crop for sure. They really help hold water in the root zone. I never watered once this year and my creek dried up 3 times this summer. It had never gone dry the 3 summers prior, but I still got a good yield.

MickThompson

The voles put me out of the potato business. I was losing 80%+ of my crop to the varmints. I am growing sweet potatoes in pots this year, but the jury is still out on that. I've piddled with onions but I don't have the patience for them. I might set aside a little area and give them another try this year.

DaveB

I have grown onions but always from spring to fall, never overwinter. They do okay indoors and in containers. You need the same texture of dirt to grow onions as taters and carrots. If you get a lot of onion above ground the animals get them.

gtk

Staff member
if my pumpkins make it , it will be a miracle. they started out with a bad squash bug infection. when i think i finally have them about under control, the army worms came thru and almost wiped them out.. But.. they bounced back again, and now I have small fruit starting.

i checked them yest eve, and noticed the pumpkins starting to turn yellow at the mound and working its way out. i figure its a fungus, so I sprayed it with Bravo yest eve.

next year i figure i will just say screw it, and buy my fruit & pumpkins from the farmers market.

Latest posts