Protein Feeders

Skhunter85

Anyone had any luck running a protein feeder during the off season on their land in Tennessee? If so, what have you had luck using in the feeder. TIA

SDS

We just started a February thru September program on our farm. We are using (2) 300 lb. Banks gravity feeders, and using Record Rack Sportsman 20 that you buy at Tractor Supply. We tried the protein pellets at our local COOP, and the deer wouldn't touch it. Our deer seem to love the Record Rack.

Skhunter85

SDS, did you mix the record rack with anything to begin with to get them to eat it? Have you had to fill the feeder back up since initial fill up with record rack? Im leaning toward getting one of the 350 lbs boss buck gravity feeders. With me being 4 hours away from my lease, I hope I will just need to fill it up once a month.

SDS

No I haven't refilled yet, but it has taken the deer a couple of weeks to get acclimated to the feeder. I would definitely go with as big a feeder as you can afford if you are 4 hours from the house. They are starting to hammer ours, and we are buying the pellets from tractor supply by the ton. And yes, we did initially mix a lot of corn to get them coming.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
We feed the record rack and had no problem getting them to start. The population and available other browse will determine how often they will empty it. Stewart county, TN and Trigg county KY populations will empty a 450 lb choice feeder in less than 2 weeks! (with fawns on the ground in a week) I put timed slingers on them to limit consumption to something below OMG!

Note# use the ones with a big cage around the slinger or they will learn to manipulate it with their tongue and keep eating. Coons aint the only things eating your

Skhunter85

Thanks Popcorn. My lease is in Montgomery county, so not far from Stewart county at all. If they go through the feed like you say they do, I may have to bump up the size of the feeder I had in mind from 350lbs to 600lbs with me being 4 hours away from my lease.