Prentice Cooper muzzleloader hunt

AveryPC

I was drawn for the late October muzzleloader hunt this year at Prentice Cooper and am trying to decide if its even worth the 30 minute drive. I also drew the early bow hunt and saw one lone spike and the only thing I came home with was a dirty truck. I am new to the area and the idea of hunting "mountain deer" so I am sure that it is not the hunt or location but rather me. Any advice from people that have participated in this hunt before? Is it worth it to go?

AveryPC

It being youth weekend is the main thing pushing me to go right now. I hunted all three days of the archery hunt in what felt like a great spot where I had seen sign and deer while scouting. Maybe I can push out those memories with some good ones this weekend.

Racknquack

Gotta keep trying if you want to learn an area. Sometimes it takes years. Enjoy the hunt, allow yourself to chill and relax and don't judge your hunt by killing a deer learning a new area. Every hunt builds pieces of the puzzle and it will eventually all come together.

AveryPC

Thanks for the advice, I think it'll be a few years before I really have a good gameplay there. I did not know about the youth weekend, that sounds like a great event.

Racknquack

It may take a few years and that's ok. I promise that's when it will mean something. If someone told you a spot and you killed one it wouldn't mean as much as you hunting it for years, learning the place and then killing.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Get away from the fields and areas that look like deer hunting videos. They have sign before hunts, but people flock to them during hunts. Hunt thickets and mind the wind. Look for areas that are rough or tough to get to. Hunt away from roads and maybe off of the edge of the mountain. Be willing to work for it and you'll probably earn a deer

Hduke86

The had 180 kids up there this weekend. Weather did not cooperate with there hunt. Think around 20 last I heard?
There was 180 kids at the "gathering" maybe cause when the gate opened maybe 10 trucks and when we came out of the woods at 10:30ish. We only saw probably 2-3 trucks still out there hunting.

AveryPC

I bumped several deer when I walked in. But when the sun came up the wind went to rolling pretty good. I left around 1 or so and only 6 had been killed. Thinking I may go to South Cherokee tomorrow.
Was there a lot of traffic this morning and is there a check station, I did not see one at the archery hunt but supposedly there was one.

Latest posts