Food Plots Pre-Soaking Seeds

Obsession

I have three 1/8 acre food plots to plant. I thought about pre-soaking seeds to help with lack of rain here lately. There are some chances of rain this week in the forecast. Opinions??

Boll Weevil

Believe it or not, most (if not all) seed varieties typically used in food plots can actually germinate with little more than an appropriate amount of water vapor and soil contact (if poor conditions exist). Soaking might indeed help in this regard, but I'm not sure that would be the best approach.

I'd be less concerned about germination and far more concerned of high seedling mortality if the dry weather continues. They might germinate within just a day or 3 no problem, but if it stays dry would just shrivel up. In less than a week's time you've lost your crop unless there's enough moisture in the soil when you plant to sustain them until you can get some rain. Otherwise, you may just end up replanting altogether.

Hunter 257W

I would be afraid that you couldn't get the seeds to the dirt evenly once soaked. I broadcast everything and I'd be surprised if wet seeds would flow through the seeder.

Latest posts