Prayed up deer

jag1

I've been taking a friends son hunting on the property his dad owns since about the middle of November. Last year, the first time I took him, he had a young buck down within 45 minutes of our sitting in the ground blind. I told him then it wasn't always that easy. This year working around our schedules I've been able to take him probably 6-7 times. First few trips a big fat zero. Third time we had a young buck about 45 yards away and I think the deer heard both of our breathing! I was more excited at that moment than I'd been on a lot of deer. He missed! Several more trips resulted in no sightings and I could tell he was getting frustrated. I tried explaining that as the season went on, it could get harder and we needed to find a good food source rather than keep doing what we were.
This past Monday, we set up on a field in a corner so the Marlin 35 could do its thing and before dark we had a young buck and doe come out. Again, I could hear him breathing so hard aaannnddd he missed! At that point, I'm thinking is my scope off?
Decided not to duck hunt this am as my daughter was going back to school today so the afternoon presented itself to take the boy one last time. We saw several buck and a group of does but the closest were around 300 yards out. Finally, at last light, I spot a deer coming through the gap of trees into our little area of the field. He gets on him but the deer was only giving us a head on shot. Told him to wait...I look away and when I look back the dang deer has disappeared. I look closely thru the binoculars and that jack wagon has laid down in the field! The boy wants to shoot. I tell him we don't have a shot. I bleat loudly a few times and look away. Look back and he's stood back up. I can't hear the boy breathing now. Everything is nice and still with him. He shoots, he scores. Deer dropped in his tracks. I've got him 2.5 based on teeth wear but man was he heavy.
Oh yeah, talked to two buddies on the way out to the farm and asked them to pray for the boy to finally score. God blessed us. One more thing, I asked him which deer he appreciated more, this one or last year's. Why? I had to work for this one! He's getting it : )

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 356

fairchaser

Congratulations to both of you. I believe that when the time is right, the animal will present itself to you. This is a blessing and answer to prayer.

Stumpsitter

Congratulations to both of you. That young man earned it & that's the best way. Especially late season and in this colder weather.

backyardtndeer

Congratulations to him. Looks like a heavy body, he has been eating well to be that thick this time of year.

Always say a little prayer shortly after I get settled in the stand in the mornings. Too many times to count I open my eyes and there are deer in the dark.

Andy S.

Congrats to you and him and the perseverance you both showed to finally get him this buck. Laying down in the field is not a preferred method to age one by his body, but that buck's body looks mature in that one pic/angle. His neck looks huge, but it could be the way he is turned for the pic. Thanks for sharing.

jag1

Congrats to you and him and the perseverance you both showed to finally get him this buck. Laying down in the field is not a preferred method to age one by his body, but that buck's body looks mature in that one pic/angle. His neck looks huge, but it could be the way he is turned for the pic. Thanks for sharing.
He was big and I re-aggravated a bicep injury I've been nursing for some time trying to load that sucker up. After dressing him, I asked him if I could give the deer a "grin" and age him. He's going to euro mount so he was game. Teeth say, 2.5 and I was a bit surprised. No wear whatsoever on the 3rd molar and back. His face, forehead and ears were scarred up more so than any deer save one. I guess he's been duking it out or has some disease that I'm not aware of : ). Any thoughts BSK??

Latest posts