Practicing in the back yard

oakclimber

if there are house around you dont do it. go to a open field somewhere or a indoor archery range. it would be bad news for you if you hit somebody.

plinker22

Radar said:
Always make sure you have a safe backstop when you practice .

Good advice. I have two porches on my house, both are high off the ground. This allows me to practice where my arrows will hit into the ground if I miss my target. Works really good for me.

I never shoot if anyone is out in their yards. Just common courtesy. If shooting from the ground, I use my father-in-laws garage as a backstop. It only has three holes in it! :blush:

eddie c

UTGrad said:
I have a 6' wood fenced in back yard. If I put one of those block targets up and miss, will the field point go through the fence?

Yes it will. my longbow will bury halfway to the fletching on a shot inside 15 yds. and you still have the space between the panels.
a compound has more punch.
I have a 3/4 sheet of plywood behind my block target

JayMc

Part of my backyard is fenced with 3' slat fence. I shot an Axis arrow through the fence and it buried.

spoon

Neighbor bout 5 houses down came knocking on our fence asking if we seen an arrow fly by. He was pulling back when he hit his release. This could have been ugly, cause my wife and daughter were playing in the back yard.

Like Radar said make sure you have a good back stop. Neighbors aren't a good place to practice, you'll never know when an accident could/can happen

UTGrad

Yeah, I would have the Home Owners Association called on me if I was on top of my house shooting a bow in the Franklin subdivision I live in. I think that would be awesome, but wouldn't fly. I can go to the playground by the pool which is at the entrance to the neighborhood. Of course with no kids around, I can get on top of the jungle gym, shoot at a block thirty yards away, and remain discreet to the neighbor hood. I like the fact that I don't have to drive to a rifle range to practice with a bow.

Radar

I wouldn't recommend shooting in a playground , even without kids present . I would think you would attract more attention from the homeowner's association there , than you would in your own back yard .
I'm glad I don't have to deal with that out in the country . :)

eddie c

get you a top section of a tripod and use it to shoot from, that will be a downward angle and a lot safer. I did that with to top section of a ladder.

oakclimber

i wouldnt recommend going to a playground to shoot either. why dont you just go to where you hunt and practice out of a tree. :crazy:

Latest posts