Powerbelts

bigorangmd

I am shooting the CVA accura. CVA recommends the powerbelts (I'm sure they were compensated for that recommendation but know that would never influence their recommendation). It is a wickedly accurate combo. Shot two deer 30 min apart. One at 114 yards, one at 146 yards. Both shots just above shoulder joint. I had read about complaints about lack of blood trail but decided to use them any way. Both were at wood's edge. Got down before dark and went to find my deer. Not the first drop of blood from either, zip, nada. I would have bleed better if I had nicked myself with a razor! Looked inside the wood line, trails everywhere but one trail was more rustled than the others (like the deer was in a hurry). Figured who knows, nothing better so I'll follow it. After 60 yards both deer were lying together within 10 yards of each other. Guess the Lord knew my freezer was getting low! Looked around and blood trails began just before they fell. Sure am glad I recovered both deer but geez guess the no blood issue may be real. Has me rethinking for next year.

bigorangmd

No heart shot but double lung. Did pass through but small wounds. When I opened them, both had a chest FULL of blood. Shot 245 gr. Maybe 295 will be better.

Andy S.

I am aware that there are some hunters that like and swear by them, but you could not give me a truckload of them for free and me go hunting with them. I have read and heard way too many "bloodless stories" over the years, just as you described. My .02

bigorangmd

The issue I get into is this...Since I spent a bit to get a good accurate MZ I'd hate to get a round with so much drop with 100gr.

Andy S.

Article about MZer bullets and their weight retention/fragmentation at two different velocities (1700fps and 2000fps). This was published in Outdoor Life, October 2010 edition.

outdoorlifemzerbullercomparisonNov2010issue.jpg

FrontierGander

its a muzzleloader, if you want flat shooting, thats a job for a centerfire.

You ever hear of the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold in 260 grain?

Stratosman

I shot several deer with my 45 cal optima using 100gr 777 and 195 powerbelt. All where full pass through and poor blood trails. I changed to 200 gr sst and love them.

SES

I shoot the 348 grain power belts out of a CVA Electra with 120 grains of Pyrodex powder. Shot 2 with it this year. One fell in its tracks at 50 yards. The other I shot at 100+ yards through both shoulders. She went maybe 20 yards. Powerbelts are the only muzzleloader bullets I will ever buy. I have never lost a deer with them. Easy to load and no sabots to keep up with.

Deer Assassin

SES said:
I shoot the 348 grain power belts out of a CVA Electra with 120 grains of Pyrodex powder. Shot 2 with it this year. One fell in its tracks at 50 yards. The other I shot at 100+ yards through both shoulders. She went maybe 20 yards. Powerbelts are the only muzzleloader bullets I will ever buy. I have never lost a deer with them. Easy to load and no sabots to keep up with.

as long as u shoot the 348's u will be fine

Latest posts