Poundage for Bow

JoeDeer

i have a question about bow poundage...if i shoot 65 lbs...do i buy a bow that that is 70lbs and pound it down...or 60 lbs and pound it up....

i cant remember what my current bow is...

thanks

LCU

For a Mathews you would buy 70# limbs,and dial them back to 65# or all the way down to 60#.

No idea what other bow mfg's do.

stik

a bow performs its best at its peak weight. to shoot 65 lbs would require a 70 lb bow as the listed weight is generally the peak weight and a 60 lb bow won't go to 65 lbs.

JeepKuntry

I switched to using a 60lb. bow for hunting. I'm still getting close to 290fps. Mine is maxed out at 61lbs. Like stik mentioned, bows perform better at there peak weight.

LCU

kry226 said:
My next bow will have 60 lb limbs.

I bought my Dren with 60# limbs.
I shoot a lot,and knew drawing a 70# bow would end up giving me shoulder problems,because I already have them now.

No doubt I give us some speed,but It shoots fast enough to make kills. I have the same hunting range,as guys I hunt with that have 70# limbs.

Watch the girls on TV. They are killing giants,and there is no way they are drawing 70# bows.

A friend of mine has bow and gun hunted Africa 2 or 2 times.
He told me you have to shoot a 90# bow for Plains Game.
Not sure if it's a law,or a rule to follow to make kills.

eddie c

John at Eagle's Wings has been to Africa several times with his bow. I wonder what poundage he was shooting?

I saw a hunting show at work today that an older lady was bowhunting Africa and they stated she was shooting 52#. I was too busy handling problems to watch the whole show, dont know if she got anything or not.

Bowdacious

I don't see the need for shooting above 60 with the way bows are made now.I have seen deer come in to be checked that were shot with 30 and 40 poound bows.Saw one from a young man with a perfect heart shot and pass thru with a 25 pound using a mechanical broadhead.The deer was close but the bow did its job.

LCU

turftech28 said:
i dont mean to hijack here but what is the minamen poundage to hunt with just wondering for my son

No minimum.
Just have him shoot a bow he can draw without it being a chore,so he will want to shoot it often.
If he can't draw a 60# bow,drop down.
If he can make good shots,he will kill his share of game.
It's all about shot placement.

IMO bow hunting is the best way to teach a young hunter how to hunt.

Latest posts