Poult recruitment

Woodsman10

Basically, how many poults are brought into the population.

I'm no biologist, but I would think it means how many poults from that hatch year are raised into adult turkeys?

I always say turkey populations are all about the hatch success. Technically that's a wrong term. It's about poult recruitment into the population. A hen could hatch 12 poults, and only 1 make it to an adult. I'd say that's poor recruitment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Andy S.

It's basically "observed" poults per hen (PPH) in the later summer months (July-Sep), which serves as an indicator of how well the turkey population is reproducing and young surviving. Generally speaking, the better your poult recruitment, the better your turkey population will be over time.

megalomaniac

exactly guys, right on the spot.

In a nutshell, poult recruitment is the number of poults observed per hen in late summer. The reason recruitment numbers are calculated in late summer is because poults surviving to that age have become virtually predator proof and extremely likely to make it to adult (and reproductive) status.

It takes about 2.2 poults per hen in late August/ early September for the population to remain stable (neither increasing or decreasing) assuming normal hunting mortality. More than that, and the population is increasing in that area. Less than that and the population is declining. Back in the heyday of turkeys in my area, we were running 4-5 poults per hen for 2 or 3 consecutive years, and you couldn't walk 200 yards without striking a gobble in the spring.

Latest posts