pottery Shards

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I have thousands of broken pottery shards that I have put around my landscaping by the pool. I was just wondering if the broken pieces have any value if sold. I have property that has a creek that washes into an old Indian mound and when it rains hard, the shards are exposed all over the creek bank. I always pick them up when I see them and place them in my landscaping. Just wondering if they are worth anything or not.

Rockhound

Na not unless they are unusual such as a face or animal.effigy. just plain old pottery shards dont hold value. You would think if that is a true indian mound a whole pot would wash out

geezer

You should try and piece them together, you might come up with a whole pot. I always keep everything and try and keep track of where it came from in hopes of one day making a half a whole or in your case making pieces a pot!!!

Rockhound

geezer said:
You should try and piece them together, you might come up with a whole pot. I always keep everything and try and keep track of where it came from in hopes of one day making a half a whole or in your case making pieces a pot!!!

Me to! So far ive only found 2 matching pieces

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
Rockhound said:
You would think if that is a true indian mound a whole pot would wash out

No doubt about it being a mound at all. Pots have washed out over the years and people are always in there digging with sift screens, etc. trying to find the relics. Bone washes out all the time and I leave it where it is. The reason the pottery is broken is this used to be a field in cultivation. A dozer was used to push the trees, and brush into the creek over 50 years ago to make the fields. Once all of this rotted, it revealed all of the relics and broken pots that are now in the creek. The ground is black as night as is very fertile ground. I plant a green field on the mound every year. The land was row cropped for about 40 years and is growing up pretty bad all around it now. Makes a great place to hunt though.

Latest posts