Post season rust

Speedwell-Hunter

what do you do with the traps post season to get rust off or prevent more?

I know some wax n dye their traps, I am too lazy too. so looking for other ideas, thanks

jman 125

what do you do with the traps post season to get rust off or prevent more?

I know some wax n dye their traps, I am too lazy too. so looking for other ideas, thanks
Not being a a## here but you need to take care of your traps clean them good and hang i hang mine outdoors under roof is all i do but i redye everything every year. If you dont take the time and do it you are going to be more frustrated and wondering why you not catching. Being lazy and wanting to be a trapper don't go hand and hand. Again not trying to be an a##. Just my 2cents

Trapper

They will last a lifetime if you take care of them and do a little maintenance here and there . I wax and dye all of mine ever year . Like said above trapping is not for the lazy folks .

hammer33

I pressure wash them in the spring, then paint with rustoleum. Hang them up in the basement to cure. 2 coats. hang them outside in late summer to be sure they are 100% cured and any scent has off gassed. Ready to go by trapping season.
Usually lasts a season or so unless I get a catch in the back 40 where its rocky.

chris1976

I go a little ocd on my traps. I never dye but I wax often. I actually pull a trap after a catch and boil the tainted wax off and re-wax. Some will get waxed several times a season. Protects the trap and makes it scent free. Yep, OCD.

Speedwell-Hunter

Rinse your traps of dirt then soak in vinegar n water overnight. Rinse and let dry. Dip in "Full Metal Jacket ". Let dry then adjust traps if needed and store for next season. Easy!! No dying or waxing.
Do you like this plan:

-Soak and clean, then paint with dark brown rustoleum paint, and then finish by dipping in Full Metal Jacket from F&T.

Thanks

jman 125

Do you like this plan:

-Soak and clean, then paint with dark brown rustoleum paint, and then finish by dipping in Full Metal Jacket from F&T.

Thanks
No real need for wax but before I would paint them i would rust them real good then dye in log wood dye or boil walnut hulls and dye then full metal jacket and tben all you would need to do is clean them at the end of the season and hang outdoors perferably under a roof or inside a barn. The reason i dont like paint is flaking and scent control. You will hear people say it will not smell after a couple weeks i beg to differ. If you have ever had a pregnant wife i guarantee she will be able to smell it and if she can i k ow a predator can

Latest posts