Poachers

dr

Do others have a lot of Poaching going on near them? I know a guy that has killed at least 8 deer this year by spotlighting. Last year I contacted TWRA, and they did nothing. Do they even care?

Deck78

We are covered up with several "usual suspects" that bait, hunt across lines, trespass etc and I tried at least a half a dozen times to get a call back from our local TWRA officer before the chaos of the season started and he's never bothered to call me back so I just gave up. Our county is just plain tough and I don't blame the wildlife officer. He's got his hands full

PickettSFHunter

Very few locals hunt legally in my county. It's just tradition to poach and all the kids are taught to poach. I know a 4 year old that shoots deer at night in the backyard, with help of course. Our game warden actually gave up, so that's no help. Enforcement wasn't doing any good and was causing him and his family lots of problems in town so he basically retired in place so he could have peace in public.

Carlos

Do others have a lot of Poaching going on near them? I know a guy that has killed at least 8 deer this year by spotlighting. Last year I contacted TWRA, and they did nothing. Do they even care?
I'd be persistent about reporting it, every time. Did the officer contact you by phone yet?

The leading GW we have now (Cumberland county) will definitely check up on reports of poaching. He's definitely on our side, and doesn't waste any time, or miss any opportunities to follow-up.

I reported some issues last year, and he checked into them. Then, he went back again this year and caught them in the act....wrote citations, since it was just after season last year.

Rageman

There is some tva land I hunt well two different lands probably 45 50 miles apart that it hasn't been unusual for years to go and find button heads laying around are yearling does and you think hmmm maybe they just didn't want to take the carcass home to clean which is possible but I also think it's because they didn't want to check em out either place every year it goes on just pull up to the gates and It stinks of 3 or four day old deer and as many as 5 laying around there every year

Safari Hunt

It's hard for a CO to be in several places at once. How many city police officers and county deputies do you have in your county? How many COs are in your county? There is a property south of Cleveland that has a big sign in the gate: Trespassers will be shot. No warning given.

slicksbeagles1

Take pictures and any evidence and send to all wildlife commissioners They will get notice It helped me and if you can get one of the regional directors emails. I know the wildlife officers are covered up. I also pointed out that they can use game cameras also.

Chiflyguy

If there's a shortage of CO's, hire more.
Outdoor recreation as long as the fish and game are there is a big revenue generator.
It's that simple.

Safari Hunt

If there's a shortage of CO's, hire more.
Outdoor recreation as long as the fish and game are there is a big revenue generator.
It's that simple.
That would require a raise in license fees. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is entirely self-funded and does not receive one penny from the state general funds. They also receive funds through the Pittman-Robertson Act and the Wallop-Breaux Act. Those are funded from taxes on firearms, ammunition, fishing tackle and archery tackle.

utvolsfan77

It's hard for a CO to be in several places at once. How many city police officers and county deputies do you have in your county? How many COs are in your county? There is a property south of Cleveland that has a big sign in the gate: Trespassers will be shot. No warning given.
I used to have a similar sign off to the side of my front door. It read, "No trespassing or solicitors. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again." Don't know that it worked but we sure didn't get any door-to-door salesmen for several years.

Latest posts