Plucked Doves

BamaProud

Sunday Supper reminded me of my youth.
I ate 5 and my 7 y/o girl ate 2...wish we had more.
PluckedDoves1_zps50fd58c1.jpg

Growing up we used to pluck all of our birds, ducks, doves quail etc... and we killed a LOT of all of them in the late 70s through early 90s. I don't know why Dad started "breasting them out" convenience I guess...but that transition started in my early teens. Last Fall I decided to pluck a few, I will definitely pluck a lot more next Fall.

PluckedDoves2_zps359512a5.jpg

TAFKAP

I started plucking them this past season. It's the only way I'll mess with it anymore. I don't think there was any benefit to hanging them feathered, though. Sure made for some long plucking sessions at the house. I'll start plucking them as they fall.

Crosshairy

BamaProud said:
We used to pluck a lot the next day in the boat fishing or shrimping. Made cleanup a breeze.

What do you do with all the birds in the meantime? seems like a mess to put all those feathery doves in a cooler.

I haven't had a chance to hunt doves in years. It's certainly something I'd like to get back to.

DaveB

Well, BP is simplifying the process.

First, you have to shoot them. Doves fly and you have to shoot them in the air or at least you are supposed to. Some folks get really angry if you shoot them on the telephone/electrical wires.

When the doves are flying they scoot along really quick. Swiftly, even. They can chocolate chip cookie one feather and execute a 90 degree turn when they see the sweat pouring off your face, which is because it is always really hot dove hunting.

I have never killed a dove. I have had training by a for real expert. I have been on numerous hunts where everyone limited out and I still failed to hit a single bird. And yet I can kill geese near every shot.

Gave up Dove years, decades, ago. I can just see them gathered up on the roost in hysterics as they talk about me. Its embarrassing I tell ya.

Latest posts