Planting tips

david k.

I put this in the "food plot" forum too but wanted to make sure I got good replies so I decided to put it here too.

We just completed a select cut (20" and up) on a piece of family property a few miles east of Hornsby, TN. This particular tract is about 150 acres and the property had not been cut in 50+ years. Two year round creeks cut across the property so the soil is good...we had the logger cut some access roads, put in log bridges over both creeks and clear cut a several small spots for plots.

The logger just finished last week and our first priority will be to seed the roads to prevent erosion and then we will seed the plots when we can.

We do not have access to tractors, etc. but have access to a smaller, pull behind an ATV, disc. My hope is to be disc minimally and then broadcast seed and work it in with just a chain link drag on the roadbeds but I am open to suggestions.

I'd like to know what seed you guys would recommend for the roads and then any other tips that you can offer a first time plotter.

What seed, how, when, etc?

Thanks in advance and also since the job may be bigger than we can handle, we might be interested in trading deer / turkey hunting access to this tract for assistance in getting some of this of work done.

David K.

7wsm

wheat for the roads very little work has to be done for it to come up.i have about 1acre that every year all i do is bush hog it and broad cast wheat seed on it and a little fert and it does well. throw and grow has done well for too.

Latest posts