Plant choice

Rusty Nail

I'm look'n for ideas for an effective plant selection. My hunting area is approx 130 acres and is an equal mix of thick woods and open, rolling hills. The open areas are covered in grasses (and weeds). Since the deer seem to have ample opportunity to eat the naturally-occuring (pasture-type) grasses, I don't think I need to plant any more. I figure a plot with wheat, oats or ryegrass wouldn't attract and hold deer any more than what's already on the property. In other words, why would a plot be any more tempting to deer than what's naturally growing? I'm thinking I need to plant a good mix of broadleafs - rape, clover and other brassicas. Is this a good plan, or am I missing something about the wheat and oat selection? Thanks for the advice.

JohnnyDollar

you could plant wheat, its cheap and it is also carbohydrates which is what a deer needs during the rut. Plus the plot might bring the deer to you so you can get a shot.

tnclayboy

You might try Winter peas I addede them to my mix last year and they seem to tear them up!! I have a friend who has alot of crp and he plants winter peas around the edges and swears by them.

deerchaser007

WHY ,.. because those grasses and forbs will be dead and gone by frost. Honeysuckle and greenbrier are at the top of the list for winter forage. AND,. grasses at throughout any point of the year are not good source for deer. Grains targeted at colder weather are better. Such as winter wheat or cold hardy oats. Winter peas are good for big areas. Rape and brassicas will work also. Annual clovers are another choice.

Latest posts