Pistol Rounds being set back

DaveB

Back in the old days recoil could set a bullet deeper into a case. I have never run into this with aFL sized brass. Checked my 300's for years but never an issue.

Ran into some 115 gr bullets being set back in the brass...way back. Factory (the worst) and handloads.

No cannelure on the FMJs but have a sig round in my possession that does have a cannelure and that bullet is set back also.

Not happening with the Beretta FS, only with Sigs.

I keep thinking the bullet seating stroke is supposed to press the brass lip into the bullet. I have removed some loaded rounds to check and based on what I see the RCBS dies can definitely exert a kind of crimp.

I can see where we could have a spike but the loads are small...Under 5 grains CFEPistol.

Any one having similar problems? Resolutions?

Omega

Get a Lee FCD, but I would start with a light crimp then gradually increase until it stops moving or you see pressure signs.

DaveB

The die set is a carbide RCBS and crimps pretty tight. As noted above, this is only happening with the Sig 320C & 365XL pistols.

The Beretta 92FS rounds have a heavier charge and even with 115 or 125 gr we get no setback.

Even have the setback with Hornady Personal Defense rounds.

If you have a Sig and have rounds left in the mag after firing you may want to take a look.

The rounds are loaded on a Lee Loadmaster 5.

We are using a Mag Lula loader.

All mags are factory.

Omega

The die set is a carbide RCBS and crimps pretty tight. As noted above, this is only happening with the Sig 320C & 365XL pistols.

The Beretta 92FS rounds have a heavier charge and even with 115 or 125 gr we get no setback.

Even have the setback with Hornady Personal Defense rounds.

If you have a Sig and have rounds left in the mag after firing you may want to take a look.

The rounds are loaded on a Lee Loadmaster 5.

We are using a Mag Lula loader.

All mags are factory.
I would try the Lee FCD, it gives a much better crimp than standard dies. I have never had any issues with handguns, and definitely none with 9mm, even before I got the FCDs. Of course I do not have a sig, but that shouldn't be an issue unless the rounds are right up against the forward wall of the magazine and they are getting hammered back.

Latest posts