Pier fishing in the Gulf

TNLynn

What is the best pier to stay near in the northern part of the gulf. May be going sometime in the next few weeks. Any and all info will help. Driving distance from here, price per night, distance to charter and party boat, etc.

woodyard

2 nd to what stk said. Study the info on the pier forum. You can get a nonresident pier only fishing license for $11.00. The pier permit is $8.00 per day. Pretty good deal for what you can fish for at different times of the year.

stik

woodyard said:
2 nd to what stk said. Study the info on the pier forum. You can get a nonresident pier only fishing license for $11.00. The pier permit is $8.00 per day. Pretty good deal for what you can fish for at different times of the year.

the locals are great as long as you are willing to listen and learn. they have their ways of doing things and it works very well. i was amazed at the cooperation when there were 7 or more hooked up on the end of the pier. pure pandemonium but somehow most of the fish were decked.

pressfit

It seems everyone on the pier is a "expert".. my buddy and I just laugh every time we talk about it.. on the last trip we hooked several kings.. of course we had to run dawn the pier to follow them.. you have never heard such instructions we were getting... from everyone on there.. (like we didnt know how to reel in a fish..LOL) hold your rod up... let your rod down.. tighten the drag... loosen the drag... crank hard... reel backwards.. let him run... it was hilarious...

stik

pressfit said:
It seems everyone on the pier is a "expert".. my buddy and I just laugh every time we talk about it.. on the last trip we hooked several kings.. of course we had to run dawn the pier to follow them.. you have never heard such instructions we were getting... from everyone on there.. (like we didnt know how to reel in a fish..LOL) hold your rod up... let your rod down.. tighten the drag... loosen the drag... crank hard... reel backwards.. let him run... it was hilarious...

one of the local "experts" advised me to loosen the drag to turn a jack that was headed for the pilings. i thought he was crazy but did so and the fish turned for open water. he explained that the fish felt less pressure and thought it was loose. being an open water fish, that's where it headed. sometimes they know what they are talking about.

Latest posts