Pheasant recipes

BamaProud

Yea they are skinless...I was thinking about wraping them in Chicken Skin if I decided to grill one. I want to try lots of recipes that require only 1 or 2 birds . I haven't been impressed with any of my previous attempts.

Hawk

BamaProud said:
Thanks to everyone....gonna try several. Ill post the best.

A few years I didn't even bring any home. I'm determined to find a good way to cook them because I love to hunt them.

There is a chicken with cornmeal dumplings recipe in the Nov. issue of " Southern Living " that we used pheasant instead of chicken and it was a hit with our group. We hunted mostly in Potter county around Gettysburg, SD again this year.

Poser message me contact infor if you would like some birds.

BamaProud

I tried my first today. Decided to just go simple to get an idea about how tough they are and how they hold up to heat to I just grilled one.

I thought I would be fighting a losing battle to keep it moist (since my birds are all skinned) so I brined a whole bird for about 20 hours in allspice salt peppercorns and dried thyme.
2012-10-29143703.jpg

Then I seasoned it like I would a chicken, put a few rashers of bacon on it and put it on a 375 degree grill:
2012-10-30105618.jpg

I tried to watch it carefully and kept the legs away from the hotter part of the grill. After about an hour and 20 min's the breast was 155 degrees
2012-10-30120200.jpg

Next I wrapped it in foil and let it coast for another 15 min's or so.

BBQ sauce was a mixture of Sweet Baby Rays, Teriaki Triple Ginger sauce and apple cider vinegar (I did brush it once before wrapping it in foil)
2012-10-30123328.jpg

Potato Salad and a piece of the grilled bacon along side:
2012-10-30123820.jpg

The drumsticks were kinda difficult to eat like a wild turkey, but once you get around the tendons, its pretty tender and did not dry out much at all. Some of the breast (toward the head) did dry out a little probably because it was closer to the direct heat, but other than that it was tender and juicy, and tasted a lot like wild turkey. The tenderloin near the breast bone was darn good.

I think Pheasant will be perfect for Pot Pie.

Redfred16

I brined mine with rosemary, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns over night. Then stuff a slice of jalapeno, a garlic clove and maybe a small chuck of onion. Wrap a slice of bacon around it and cook on the grill. The hardest part of cooking them is keeping them moist. But brining them and giving them some protection with the bacon fat works well.

We hunted them at pheasant hunting club, you dropped off shot birds and they gave you already cleaned birds. There were never any wings and most would be missing the bottom half of the legs.

TAFKAP

BamaProud said:
I love pot pies, I will try that one for sure.

What made it was the homemade crust....full of black pepper :cool:

We're not big on winter squash AT ALL, but it really worked with this. I think the biggest reason she hasn't made it again was the sheer mess and involvement of the recipe. But well worth the effort.

tnfirefighter

I have put the breasts in a brine of 1 cup sea salt 1 cup brown sugar 24 oz of apple juice with a hlf gal of water. over night. pat dry and put a rub on it and smoke for 2 hours at 220 deg. and I have also put it in the brine and then wrapped it with bacon and smoked them for the same time

waterman

we do white pheasant chili with ours. green onions n butter till soft, a little flour then to thicken then 2 cups stock, can of mexicorn,2 cans white beans, diced green chilis,half cup of half n half and 3 cups cooked pheasant. cumin and red pepper to taste.wonderful

Latest posts