Personal best Rainbow, New TM technique

MidTennFisher

I floated from the dam to Betty's Island yesterday. Started out just after sunrise while the generators were still on throwing jerkbaits. I got one small trout and then started getting bombarded by skippies so I went ahead floating downstream.

That's when things got tough. Almost 3 hours went by and I caught 2 or 3 trout. I threw everything, mostly the TM, and couldn't get a sniff. Drifting it under a float was completely useless and twitching it was getting them to follow it but never take it. I figured something out and want to share it with you all since I know a lot of people have trouble sometimes learning to use the TM.

I started fishing it very slow, almost as slow as you'd fish a worm on a shaky head. Jigging it on the bottom and taking advantage of the fact that on the Caney you can clearly see the bottom 6 feet or more. I'd stand up in the yak, throw it not too far from me and slowly bounce it on the bottom. The cool thing was I got to watch every strike. The trout wouldn't hit it when it bounced, they'd just pick it up off the bottom. I've never seen them behave like this and I've never heard of anyone fishing the magnet this way but it sure worked. I caught about 40 including my new personal best rainbow at just a tad over 19", what a fight on 2# test. I even got it on video.

I was bummed that it was in the PLR so I couldn't eat it so I snapped a quick pic for Kayak Wars and tried my best to revive it. I'm not so sure it made it but I hope it does so I can catch it when it's over 20" and send it to the skillet. It actually squirmed out of my hands back into the water before I could get a pic but wasn't looking so good so I netted it again, got my pics, then revived it and it DID swim off just fine. I wanted to set up the GoPro to get a pic of me holding it but needed to get it back in the water. I got the release on video and some underwater footage.

I saw an abundance of wildlife and beautiful scenery, even horses which was a new one on that river for me, and enjoyed every minute of the float.

Attachments

• 20150616_104831.jpg
    20150616_104831.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 661
  • 20150616_121024.jpg
    20150616_121024.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 662
  • 20150616_121134.jpg
    20150616_121134.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 662

catman529

That's a pretty fish, I'm probably gonna make a trip up there in the next week or two.

Is a yak recommended or is the river mostly wade able when not generating? I'll probably take a buddy but he doesn't have a kayak

Sent from the talk of tap

MidTennFisher

It's plenty wadeable when they aren't generating but the problem is you'll be fishing in crowds and in heavily fished waters. Look into Caney Fork Outdoors kayak trips. They can set you up in a Jackson Tuna, which is a 2 seater fishing yak. You'll cover more, better water, and greatly increase your odds of catching. That way you can also use the Trout Magnet technique I mentioned. It works!

fishboy1

Thanks for the info! Fished it the other day and had a similar experience. Fish would follow but not hit. They seemed to get excited when the bait dragged the bottom. Ill have to try letting the TM sit on the bottom a few more seconds before jigging it next time. Thanks for the pix !

fishboy1

One of my favorite parts of fishing the caney is looking at all the LL bean catalog fishermen wearing $2000 worth of gear wade out into the channel spooking all the fish, just so they can be nurtz deep in the water. Then they get mad when a boat comes through and they have to move out of the way.

Some old guy in patched walmart waders in ankle deep water casts into the prop wash and hammers 3-4 trout while catalog man is still scowling at the boat that just went by.

I don't know why I think its so funny but for some reason I think its hilarious.

MidTennFisher

cmn":17s95s3n said:
Oh Yeh, Please do join the other hoardes of floaters up there! LOL just jerking some strings. Canoe and Yak rental has all but made the river unbearable to fish

Well it's their river too. Yes the crowds of party canoes get annoying and that's why you'll never see me fishing the Caney on a weekend afternoon. The only times I fish it is when I am given a bonus day off work as compensation for long hours/weekend work or fishing it starting just before sunset until after dark. That's when the fishing is better anyway!

MidTennFisher

fishboy1":2qx95cy8 said:
One of my favorite parts of fishing the caney is looking at all the LL bean catalog fishermen wearing $2000 worth of gear wade out into the channel spooking all the fish, just so they can be nurtz deep in the water. Then they get mad when a boat comes through and they have to move out of the way.

Some old guy in patched walmart waders in ankle deep water casts into the prop wash and hammers 3-4 trout while catalog man is still scowling at the boat that just went by.

I don't know why I think its so funny but for some reason I think its hilarious.

Haha that's like the guy who has brand new, super expensive golf clubs but sucks at golf. Those people do make me laugh. I do my best to be courteous and paddle wide of where wade fisherman are. Some still give me dirty looks like I ruined their spot but some people are just going to be grumpy and there's nothing I can do about it. I just paddle on, catch fish, and be happy that I'm on that beautiful river.

cmn

glad you guys know what to do. The renters for the most part can't control their craft. I have had clients run over and had them hit my boat when there was 20-60 yards of deeper water for them to go through. Summer sucks with tons of boats. Remember unless they hold a fishing license they are freeloaders. Our money pays for the ramps and the law enforcement. I had to wait 25 minutes at Betty's to pull my boat up the ramp because they were parked on the ramp and loading multiple boats. Yes you guys are correct about standing where you should be fishing though. You fish the channel not stand in it. You do that expect traffic. I female client was on the gravel less than knee deep yesterday and canoes came down while she had a very good brown on. They stroked their paddles over her line and got tangled coming within 10 feet of us with at least 40 yards of water left to them. All was good after I grabbed the paddle. 17" brown was landed. Frustrating to say the least!

Latest posts