persimmon seeds

Rockhound

I collected about 100 seeds this afternoon from coyote crap, I planted 10 in a pot outside to see what they would do but the others I put in damp paper towels inside bags and put them in the fridge. His anyone had luck this way?

How long do u leave them and how do I tell if they getminate

TNlandowner

Both ways may work.... You could direct plant some as well. Mark the spot and go see what happens in the spring.

I've kept them in the fridge until March, planted in outside pots through winter, and direct planted. From now, I'm taking the easy way.... pick them up from scat, walk to the general area I want more persimmon trees, then scrape a bare spot of dirt and plant.... This really works, even in areas with heavy grass competition.

duckriver

Does getting them out of crap help them grow?

I have one in the yard that is loaded like crazy and i would like to plant some around the farm

Rockhound

duckriver said:
Does getting them out of crap help them grow?

I have one in the yard that is loaded like crazy and i would like to plant some around the farm

I'm a newbie at the tree game, I've got 80 acres I want to do something with that the deer dont have and it's right in the middle of our place. I've read that the digested seed speed stratification

TNlandowner

Yes indeed, animal digestive tracts remove the hard outer shell from the seeds.

I know everyone loves persimmon trees. I have several trees on my farm. I've placed cameras on the trees to measure deer usage. Other than an occasional deer, I usually found raccoons, foxes, coyotes, and turkey feeding on the orange fruit. This doesn't matter. Having the trees brings another food source to the wildlife.

Latest posts