Pensacola beach fishing

Jon

All,

I am going to Pensacola beach the first week of October. Going to give beach fishing a try for the first time. I have 4 rods and reels and several pompano rigs and weights. Watched several youtube videos but was hoping to get some tips and pointers from you guys. Anyone have any advice?

Jon

Appalachian American

I had some good luck surf fishing using sand fleas with cut fish bites. Caught some lady fish and whiting and they were a lot of fun. Get a sand rake and learn to catch them sand fleas. Talk with the local bait and tackle store and they'll be a wealth of info for you. These guys love fishing and in my experience don't mind sharing. I was targeting pompano. Look for collection of seashells on the beach and this is likely a good spot. Just try to get past the first sandbar. Nothing heroic.

Madbowh

Don't go to the beach go to ft pickens fish the Rock jetty is the last parking area on bay side I dive there sometimes seen grouper flounder an occasional snapper, snapper is closed but grouper asks always possible. Seen sheepshead there water gets about 50 feet deep infront of rock jetty 100 yards of beach. No trekking what you'll catch, being many options for bait squid cigar minnows whatever you can pick up at bait store. The first octopus I seen was at this jetty ot was dark red and came out from under rock and turned pure white what a sight that was

Madbowh

Boy so much I've done there I've been diving the reefs off Navarre and pensacola and I see more sea turtles and baby fish than anything I'm sure some catch fish there. If your set on ocean side beach fishing go to Navarre last building on right the reefs they put are a lot closer than pensacola beach reefs I had about a 500 yard swim in dive gear to get to PB reefs Navarre about 100 yards and Navarre neath reefs are much better placement nice rectangle formation PB reefs are scattered

Crow Terminator

What dates are you going? Our family is going the 9-16 and would like to find a few others to charter a boat with one day.

We also plan on doing some fishing from the shore. I have been hearing great things about "fish bites". I plan on trying them while there.
Shrimp flavored Fish Bites area awesome from shore. Throw them on a Carolina rig or drop shot. Get you a cheap pair of cutters or scissors for it...it has a cloth like mesh inside it to help stay on the hook and you can't hardly tear it with your hands. Cut it into pieces about the size of Trident chewing gum.

Pensacola Bay and out by the fort is where we fish every time I get a guide. Lots of big speckled trout there around the grass and docks...and reds too.

Displaced_Vol

We'll be in orange beach the same dates and I've got basically the same plan you have- got one old shore rod and i bought some pompano rigs a couple years ago. I'll grab some fish bites and whatever else the bait store may have in stock and have at it.
We took the kayaks last year and fished the back bays some but it was right between hurricanes and the water was pretty off. Buddy caught a couple nice trout and I actually hooked into my one and only redfish ever from the beach.
Honestly won't be able to fish as hard this year because we're in one of those condos and last year we had a house to ourselves.

I watch the Bama Beach Bum, I'm sure you've seen his stuff. Also I start listening to the Alabama salt water fishing podcast a couple weeks ahead of the trip.

waynesworld

There was a guy that just took over a charter and he docked out of Peg Leg Pete's, he actually just got all his credentials and I was his first charter as a Capt. I just met him on the dock and started talking to him the day before we went out. :) His boat is all jacked up.

Madbowh

All,

I am going to Pensacola beach the first week of October. Going to give beach fishing a try for the first time. I have 4 rods and reels and several pompano rigs and weights. Watched several youtube videos but was hoping to get some tips and pointers from you guys. Anyone have any advice?

Jon
Let us know how it goes with the fishing down there, post some pics of you catch anything any catch is better than getting skunked

Latest posts