Pelt

eastTN270

I found a dead fox Thursday. Hadn't been dead long so I put him in a plastic bag and in the freezer. I called a taxidermy guy today and he said he would have to charge too much to be worth it for me. Anybody know anyone in east tn that does pelts? What should it cost?

pass-thru

If you want it done under a hundred, you probably need to do it yourself. Fox are not hard to skin. But anything hit by a car is more difficult to skin and not pleasant. Just google "case skin fox" and you will find multiple tutorials. Once its skinned, you can make a form to stretch and dry. Trim/scrape excess fat and meat, stretch it on the form, and send off to a tannery like Moyles.

jakeway

I used to run trap lines and have skinned thousand of animals. The coyotes I've skinned we're the smelliest critters I ever did. Fox are usually much more pleasant. Having said that, the only time I had a guy in Tennessee skin and tan a coyote for me he charged $75 and did a terrible job. Lots of small holes in the hide. I wouldn't recommend him. Expect to pay $100 for a decent job.

LanceS4803

I had no idea how bad a coyote smelled!
I carried him out along with my climber, now it stinks.
Thankfully, it washed out of the pelt.

Latest posts