• Help Support TNDeer:

Pease help age jaws

Outdoor life

Earlier this week I found these jaw bones, but I am just learning about aging deer. After cleaning them up these are the 3. The 1st one, some of yall had already said it's 1.5 yrs old. I think the next 2 may be older but not much so here's the 1st one again:

IMG_5725_zps3f7fb77d.jpg

Here's the 2 I haven't had aged yet:

IMG_5726_zpsafe07ebd.jpg

IMG_5727_zps5c5b2ed6.jpg

Thank yall for looking.

Alright, well here's pic #2 from the top

IMG_5735_zpsa9cfc9ac.jpg

Also do you know a good link or something to show the ages of deer with the jaws, that I could see, to learn myself? Thanks.

Thank you catman! I thought they looked a little older than the 1st one but someone with more experience on the subject always helps. I'm gonna print that pdf off and keep it for the future.

I just learned to age jawbone over the past deer season. So I am by no means an expert, but have spent some time studying a bunch of jaws from 1.5 to 5.5+ and have watched and re-watched several YouTube videos on it while holding jawbones in my hand at the same time. QDMA has a great 2-part video on YouTube for aging deer jaws. It's methodical and easy to understand.

Outdoor life,

Catman is correct, the first jaw is a yearling (that died fairly early, probably late summer), and the 2nd and 3rd jawbones are from 2 1/2 year-old deer (and I suspect deer #3 died earlier than deer #2).

I knew they all was pretty young when I saw them, after seeing other jaw bones on here, with the tooth wear, but wanted to know more.

BSK, I found all 3 of these jaws together, about 20 yards apart, with the other bones as well, like the spine. At first I wasn't sure what the deal was until I found this one (one of the 3)...notice the hole that was cut where the antlers go, so I assume they was poached and dumped(being on my uncles property, in which very few are even let to step on)...2 of the bottom jaws, I could not find the skulls too.

Note on the pic, I moved the skull and jaw bones closer to the spine for the pic.

IMG_5683_zps73908d81.jpg

Latest posts

Back