Peach trees

JimFromTN

I planted 3 bare root peach trees last fall. In the spring they grew a few leaves. It is now the middle of August and they have not grown at all and they only have a couple leaves each on them. Basically, no growth at all this year. I have planted 4 bare root apple trees a year ago last spring and they are doing great. Should I not waste any more time on the peaches and replace them this fall if they have not shown any improvement or should I give them another season?

MickThompson

Give them another year. Most bare roots spend the first season laying down a root system. I have a crabapple that has done the same thing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM

probably transplant shock. if they are still alive id wait another year and it will probably straighten itself out the second year if they dont die. several causes mainly overwatering, underwatering, bad soil prep and transplanting out of dormancy.

WTM

ate least you didnt make my big boo boo. i stratified about 30 peach seeds to start some new trees, and got busy at work and forgot to pot them. so here it is August and still in the fridge. GEEZ, was looking forward to transplanting them next spring.

DaveB

I would say your bare-root trees were dead/mostly dead when you got them or died/nearly died from over water/under water/bad soil.
Peach trees are pretty robust. I would give the trees another year or two to recover the root structure.

I had a small orchard of 8 peach trees in my back yard in California (plus 4 plum, 8 nectarine 2 pear that always died, 4 apple, and 4 orange).
Soil prep and citrus-plant fertilizer are key. Far beyond what you might think.

Latest posts