Passed on a solid one today.

DoubleRidge

I've been on this 1,300 acre lease for 13 years and as manager for last 10. We cut membership to 8 from 13 when I took over and its hung in with 7-9 people every year. Many have killed 140 plus deer and a few over 150. Think we had a 154 last year. Time, not overhunted, and trying to let young deer walk.

Your comments should explain better how and why you let that buck walk....you said "over the years there have been many 140s killed with a few over 150....and a 154 last year"....I wouldn't fault anyone for shooting the buck you let walk ...but I totally understand why you let him walk....to kill "great" deer we need to let "good" deer walk....and yes, everyone's circumstances are different....but in your circumstance you made the right call.

taylor j

Went out this afternoon and with a southern wind had a good spot in mind. I call it my chinkapin spot. Sure enough fresh sign so I climbed a tree about 2pm. Bout 4 a 2.5 year old 10 pt showed up. Fed and bedded 20 yards from me for about 15 minutes then got up and walked away. Spindly and no mass but maybe good in a few years.

About 6pm here comes a bigger deer. Walking straight to me I could see he was outside the ears and more mass. Good body size. I'm thinking a 3.5 year old. Lot of years I wouldn't have hesitated but did decide to give him a pass. Hopefully next year. When I climbed down you could smell him at the base of my tree. He had walked right up to it and sniffed a little then went back to munching acorns. He's stnking already. Fun hunt this afternoon for sure. Just need something a little bigger.

View attachment 116037
Way to go! Wishing you success on a bigger buck.

megalomaniac

He looks to be mature and less than 120in. If so, he's a cull on my farms and is going into sausage.

If he is just over 120in, he would count as your only buck for the year, no way I would shoot him either.

DRSJ35

It has to be what you want. And what makes you satisfied. Hopefully that's just a warm up for bigger things.

Duck dogn

I try to let them walk as well but my neighbors kill everything. I try to save them for my daughters, but like my old taxidermist once told me a buck of any caliber is a trophy in itself cause there's no 2 exactly the same so it just depends on what that deer means to you. By the way I've seen several bucks each set this year but all I seen this morning was does