Panic mode

cecil30-30

I have a h&r conversion that I've had since 2015. It has been a super consistent shooter with 58 grs of n120 and a 200gr sst. It has always gave me 1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Never a 2nd thought. I get it out today to check zero and it gives me this crap. I pulled.the scope off and tightened the mount down. Checked the barrel for any plastic build up. The bore is clear as a whistle. What do you guys think the likelihood that this scope is toast? It's a redfield revolution been on the rifle from day one. I did attempt to adjust the scope but it just didn't seem very responsive or track well. Now I've shot up my supply of 200gr sst and have to find some more of those. And I guess I need to find a scope tomorrow. It's the only thing I can think of.

Attachments

• 20231028_173916.jpg
    20231028_173916.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 100

cecil30-30

You might try using a known good scope off another rifle. Then you can eliminate the rifle as the problem. It could be the problem!
Just pulled a vx freedom 2-7x33 off my marlin 1894. My only problem now is I only have 9 bullets left. I'm planning on driving to academy, smokey mountain guns and bass pro if I have to tomorrow. Probably try a Walmart or rural king if I have to. That is if I can get some consistency out of the last 9 bullets that I have and this new scope.

fairchaser

Just pulled a vx freedom 2-7x33 off my marlin 1894. My only problem now is I only have 9 bullets left. I'm planning on driving to academy, smokey mountain guns and bass pro if I have to tomorrow. Probably try a Walmart or rural king if I have to. That is if I can get some consistency out of the last 9 bullets that I have and this new scope.
If you can get a good 3 shot group, you should be good to go! Then you'll have 6 left for hunting until you can find more and you'll know it's the scope. Good luck!

jlanecr500

If that Revolution failed, it would surprise me. I have several and have abused them over the years with much stiffer loads than one can shoot in a conversion. I'd be checking 2 things. 1) ventliner inside diameter. If it has a bushing, check it too. You use torch tip cleaners to check it. Measure the smooth tip of the torch tip cleaners to find one that measures .040". If it will go into the ventliner or bushing, replace it. It has burned open 2) Flame channel. The flame channel goes from the primer end thru to the ventliner or bushing. This channel carbons up over time. Clean it with a 5/32 drill bit by holding the bit with vice grips and rotating the plug on it by hand. You can use a drill motor but go easy. Either of these can wreck accuracy.

cecil30-30

I forget which breech plug I bought. But I do remember it has the tungsten bushing ventbliner. I was told it should be good for 500+ shots. The gun has a estimated 80-100 shots. I have only ever shot it just 1 to 2 deer a year and maybe 3 shots to check zero. But I'll definitely check the tungsten bushing

jlanecr500

And you clean that with a 5/32 drill bit?I'll do that tomorrow before I shoot.
Yessir, a .156" drill bit in decimal. If you've never cleaned it, there is no doubt in my mind that it is plugged up. The carbon is usually pretty hard . You can start with a slightly smaller bit if you need to. Don't worry about drilling into the bushing, it is as hard as woodpecker lips. After cleaning it out, blow it out with compressed air. You should be able to see light thru the bushing.

mike243

Shoot some other bullets just to ck and get other scope on paper, then shoot a shot or 2 see if planned bullets are grouping good.

knightrider

Cecil, I'll be at my house in Clinton today. It's on your way to Bass Pro or Knoxville. I've got everything to check the bushing and clean the plug. Even have some n120 incase yours went bad. I'll have to check but I think I've got some 200sst's you can have. I don't shoot them in anything. Shoot me a pm if interested.
Awesome folks around here

Latest posts