Paddlers Lobby for Stricter Rules for Trotliners

rsimms

Hank Williams Jr. sings, "We can skin a buck, we can run a trotline and a country boy can survive." But now a Tennessee paddling organization is lobbying the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency for stricter rules regarding trotlines. They say the safety of paddlers is at risk. One Tennessee judge said, "You all better find a way to enjoy it together, because whether you know it or not, fishermen you need the kayakers, kayakers, you need the fishermen." Read the story here: https://bit.ly/3QnAZvQ

Moonman

Personally I think a boat should be a boat and anyone that uses a kayak, paddle board, or anything else should pay the same fees to use public waters. They are using public boat ramps that some are kept up by the TWRA so anyone using the water and has any kind of floating boat. Also these people that are running lines are working way harder than these paddle boarders that are pleasure boating.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I especially like the idea of marking the trot line with floats. Some of the other proposed changes...maybe. Keeping the line below 3 feet seems good except I can see being allowed to tie off the ends above at or above the water line. I also don't like the proposal for lines to be parallel to the shore as it seems to really limit locations that would work; maybe require this for floating trotlines if they are continued to be allowed.

I've never kayaked but I have been swimming in all kinds of water and I've run into trotlines while fishing that I didn't know were there.

I don't see what "working harder" has to do with anything.

Moonman

Yep.
Wanna kayak register it and pay up like I do.
Wanna cycle register it like I do my car and pay up.
Until you do stfu.
Great way to put it. I dislike bikes that like to run the country roads that are 2 lanes and no shoulder and then take up the whole road. DayDay I simply mean these people kayaking and paddle boarding are doing it for leisure, but these people commercial fishing are doing it for their livelihood and to make a living and by no means is it easy work and the nets and gear aren't cheap. I will agree that better marking of the lines would be helpful for all of us.

CATCHDAWG

Personally I think a boat should be a boat and anyone that uses a kayak, paddle board, or anything else should pay the same fees to use public waters. They are using public boat ramps that some are kept up by the TWRA so anyone using the water and has any kind of floating boat. Also these people that are running lines are working way harder than these paddle boarders that are pleasure boating.
What if those kayaks aren't using a public boat ramp? What if they're only going where a boat with a motor can't go? Would that be different? What about when I'm fishing a remote trout stream in the middle of nowhere, should I register and pay a fee for my wader's as well?

Pilchard

What if those kayaks aren't using a public boat ramp? What if they're only going where a boat with a motor can't go? Would that be different? What about when I'm fishing a remote trout stream in the middle of nowhere, should I register and pay a fee for my wader's as well?
Yes, yes, no, and you already do(fishing license).

MickThompson

I took the kids kayaking yesterday. There were trotlines and Limb lines everywhere that had been abandoned for a long time, hooks still on them. It is a problem from a trash and safety perspective.
All lines are supposed to be tagged above the waterline and run every 24 hours when in use unless something has changed. If they aren't tagged they should be cut down and treated as litter. This coming from an avid liner in my younger days. We fished them then pulled them when we were done.

Don't forget about jugs/noodles. They go wherever a fish or the wind takes them.

EDIT: apparently the requirement to run lines if they're out has been removed. This should be reinstated in my opinion.

Last edited:

MickThompson

I especially like the idea of marking the trot line with floats. Some of the other proposed changes...maybe. Keeping the line below 3 feet seems good except I can see being allowed to tie off the ends above at or above the water line. I also don't like the proposal for lines to be parallel to the shore as it seems to really limit locations that would work; maybe require this for floating trotlines if they are continued to be allowed.

I've never kayaked but I have been swimming in all kinds of water and I've run into trotlines while fishing that I didn't know were there.

I don't see what "working harder" has to do with anything.
Floats just invite the riff raff to steal your fish. If it's anchored to the bottom like it needs to be there won't really be any opportunity for someone to get into one

Spurhunter

When I was a kid and up into my 20's we would run trotlines. I have some great memories with my Dad doing that. These days I despise a trotline. They should have floats, they should have the owner's name and information, and they should be checked regularly. I spider rig for crappie a lot. I occasionally hang an unmarked trotline and with 4-8 poles out, an unmarked trotline will cause an incredible mess.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
All lines are supposed to be tagged above the waterline and run every 24 hours when in use unless something has changed. If they aren't tagged they should be cut down and treated as litter. This coming from an avid liner in my younger days. We fished them then pulled them when we were done.

Don't forget about jugs/noodles. They go wherever a fish or the wind takes them.

EDIT: apparently the requirement to run lines if they're out has been removed. This should be reinstated in my opinion.
From the TWRA Fishing Guide 2022-2023:
Trotlines, limblines and jugs must be run at
least once each day
and are prohibited within
1,000 yards below any TVA or Corps of Engineers
dam. Trotlines may not be set within 100 yards of
the mouth of any river, creek or slough.

Floats just invite the riff raff to steal your fish. If it's anchored to the bottom like it needs to be there won't really be any opportunity for someone to get into one
Yeah, I thought about this after I posted earlier; it's a good point. I wish there was some way to catch thieves but it's too easy to get away with.

mike243

Need to go back to 2 poles only unless you have a sportsman then you can have 3 lol, never ran a floating trot line we always anchored ours , been a lot of years since i had 1 out

Spurhunter

Yeah, I thought about this after I posted earlier; it's a good point. I wish there was some way to catch thieves but it's too easy to get away with.
When I was a kid I heard a story about some guy whose troltlines kept getting checked, so he hid in the woods with a rifle and shot the person that was checking his lines and stealing his fish. I have no idea if the story was true, but I'm 50 years old and I've never been tempted to check someone's lines or even get close to them.

artwork001

I remember running trotlines with my dad too to catch fish to eat. I doubt most people running trotlines now are depending on them to survive. I think they should be outlawed completely just on general principle. If you want to catch fish use a fishing pole. I fish all over in my boat, in a canoe, kayak, and a jet ski on the river. I have not gotten caught in a line yet but I have cut many a rusty hook off limb lines all over the river. Got hung up while casting on lines everywhere. Trotlines were a subsistence type fishing tool that is outdated as dynamite. IMO but that's all we got to go on is opinions.

MickThompson

When I was a kid I heard a story about some guy whose troltlines kept getting checked, so he hid in the woods with a rifle and shot the person that was checking his lines and stealing his fish. I have no idea if the story was true, but I'm 50 years old and I've never been tempted to check someone's lines or even get close to them.
I had some limb lines cut a year or 2 ago on center hill. If my 7 year old had caught them he was mad enough to whoop them

Latest posts