Ozonics

infoman jr.

They probably help. A little. There are unknown, potentially negative health implications. I feel like my money is better spent elsewhere.

YMMV.

tree_ghost

no but I have heard very compelling first hand reviews from acquaintances and the science of ozone does have a legitimate claim and studies that back up its effectiveness. ultimately I dont think that i could bring myself to spend the money as I honestly believe if I am doing the right things in the woods and hunting with a specific laid plan I wont be smelled 90% of the time. I think ozonics would be a helpful tool for that 10% when maybe the wind swirls...I did spoke the biggest deer Ive ever had in bow range because of a wind swirl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tnshooter

I got one last year. I used my cabelas points so no real money out of my pocket. I won't hunt without it again. I didn't see any benifets from it until late into gun season in ky. Had a dozen does down wind of me about 150 yds away in a field feeding and the battery died. When they say it last 6 hrs they mean 6 hrs. After a couple of minutes the closet doe raised her head and looked my direction then a couple of others lifted their noses. They then walked out of the field. There is no doubt in my mind the ozonics had been working. I seen more deer last year downwind of me than previous years but when I had the encounter in the field I was sold. It does make some noise but had deer really close to me and it never bothered them. It is just a hum from the fan.

landman

I'd had people swear about them

For saw it was $499 at BP and had been told
to buy the extended batteries and then you
need stuff to attached to tree.

That's a lot of bullets

AT Hiker

I heard of people using ozone in enclosed trailers and/or storage bins to cut down on scent of clothing/gear.

Im not sold on the idea of one hanging from the tree and eliminating scent, if it produces that much ozone it might not be too healthy for you. IDK, use it and let use know if your still alive a few years down the road :lol:

swhackmaster

Well...I broke down and bought one today. It came with all the attachment hardware for tree or blind. I will go back and get the extra battery tomorrow. Gander mountain. $399.99 extra battery is 69. Excited to try it out. Most of my hunting spots require me to hunt nearly upwind of deer travel routes.. We shall see

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

gobblinfool

I have been using one now for three deer seasons.....keeping in mind that the last two years due to military commitment, my hunting was uber limited.

The first year I had it I was in KY on leave, I had several does walk downwind of me without a clue.....a few minutes later a buck came from another direction.....had they spooked and blown, I might not have seen that buck....but for sure the does were downwind of me and they didn't have a clue.

Since I only hunted one week I sent my system to my buddy in NY to try out and tell me what he thought. He said he had deer downwind of him.....and they didn't blow, or stomp, but acted confused.

Last year I got to hunt a bit in KY and TN. I didn't document how many times deer came from what direction, I just remember that I killed 3 bucks, 2 in TN and 1 in KY.

This year, opening weekend in KY, I hunt a draw, the wind was blowing into the draw, kind of where I thought the deer would come from, sure enough, it was 4pm and I had a deer blow....but I hadn't put my system up, I set everything up and hoped. About an hour later, I heard a deer blow super close.....spooked me. I stood, 5 minutes later a doe came through.....I am guessing they smelled residual from when I walked in.......she came through with a fawn.....she seemed confused, but she fed within 20 yds of me. The next night I got set up and within 5 minutes being in stand, I had a forky and his sister come through, they fed around me forever before I shot the doe. Again, they seemed confused at times.

Last weekend I had does come through at 40 yds down wind...wasn't a strong wind....they didn't have a clue that I was there.

Tonight I turned to look downwind....and I saw a deer....and two seconds later the deer blew and two deer departed the same area in opposite directions.

Do I think it works, yes, do I think there are variables I don't understand yet, yes.....like wind speed, how high I am in the stand. For the most part I pay attention to the wind and set up accordingly.

gobblinfool

I should add that I bought mine of Archery talk for $200, it came with 2 batteries. It isn't that loud. You don't want to breathe in the ozone it produces....you should move it as the wind switches.

Nothing is foolproof, but I do believe I have an advantage,

AllOutdoors

My grandad and dad never had one and we never went hungry. I have never used one. I hope it serves you well. Keep us posted on your results.

gobblinfool

So I will post what I see happen this morning...because last night I got busted...but what I didn't realize was the battery had died....so that's on me.

This morning I set up, wind wasn't perfect....but the deer come from more than one direction, at daybreak I heard something below me and to my left (directly downind), I had a young buck at 15 yards, forky, I passed on him. About 30 minutes later I had a couple does come thru, they were upwind, headed downwind....I shot the lead doe...big momma....she only went 50 yds, I had another group come through 15 minutes later, this group had a basket 8, I had a doe at 23yds, but her friends were looking up, so I was patient, the eventually walked off...then I had a fawn come thru by herself.....she went downwind....and didn't know that I was there....until I decided to climb down....when I shut my ozonics off...she knew something was wrong. This happened to me last year, I had two young bucks come thru and were feeding in beans...downwind of me..no clue that I was there....until I had to climb down and shut my machine off....then they knew something was up.

Nothing is foolproof, I try to put myself where I need to be, but this morning I had deer come from two different directions.

Mark71211

I have always read for many years now that ozone causes cancer and it's not worth the risk just to get a deer.

megalomaniac

scientifically impossible for it to work in an open air environment. Just too much fresh air and too many scent molecules to even think it could make a difference in a treestand.

Now in a completely enclosed shooting house or blind, it absolutely could work... if the ozone it gives off doesn't kill you first.

gobblinfool

So was the buck I shot lacking in his sense of smell?? He was downwind from me....and close....this year I have gone out quite a bit and numerous times have had deer surprise, coming in down wind.....and not bust me.....as far as the ozonics.....so long as you point the machine the right direction.......you shouldn't breathe it in......I have seen so many deer this year....maybe it is a coincidence.....

jard

The number of times I've been busted has dropped exponentially over the last 2 years due to a couple of things.

1) None of my hunting clothes ever go into my house anymore. They are hung on a line outside under a covered porch to air out always, goes for boots and socks as well. I also do not wear boots in the truck and wear minimal layering in my truck and get dressed outside of my truck at my hunting place. I only launder the bottom base layer during season. They stink to me but the deer are unaffected.

2) cover scents. spray the bottom of my boots with doe P. drag a scent wick and place it near the stand. Use scent killer religiously. EverCalm is expensive but I think it works wonder.

I do not own scent blocker anything. I had 4 does feeding at 20 yards today and I had a doe bust me yesterday, but she ate directly below me at 6 yards for 20 minutes before she did. At that range, its only a matter of time.

I have also discovered that deer are not affected at all by me peeing off of my stand or having food. Its only the pure human scent that freaks them out.

gobblinfool

I am much better at keeping my clothes in a separate container, but I haven't tried a cover scent on my boots, I usually spray them down with scent elimination product.....the buck walked down the trail I used before I shot him....I guess in the end......I have only had a couple deer blow at me....once when climbing a tree, and once when climbing down, both times machine was off because i wasn't in stand.......

Latest posts