outfitters

NBF7240

My brother is wanting to try duck hunting. We know nothing about it. Is there any good outfitters in the western part of the state, somebody could recommend?

Any good advice for a newby is welcome

Thumper

SteveMcCadamsMissyJohn_zpsb2531e0b.jpg

Scene from yesterday on KY.Lake
This was the second day of a two day hunt. my take as a newbie.
if standing shoulder to shoulder with 5-6 gunners plus one guide in a cramped blind is your idea of a duck hunt, then go for it. remember the guide has no control over weather & waterfowl traffic . it was truly a learning experience, especially when my only shot taken over the two days brought down a nice mallard drake was stolen by another hunter & guide was silent.
http://www.stevemccadams.com/hunting_info.htm

tn_duckman

Ive been on one guided hunt and it was in arkansas and it was a good hunt but i dont know if i would ever go on one again.

Ive got a lot of buddies who have leases in west tn, north miss, texas so i can go with them about anytime and not pay all that money

but my advice would be do your research or try to find somebody with private land who would let you lease their spot or let you tag along with them.. When i first started i learned more going with guys like this then i did going with a guide

Thumper

Definetly think private hookup would be the way to go.
think i could really get jacked up on this sport. Especialy for folks that can't walk the hills & hollers but still enjoy cold mornin sunrises

osduck5

We used Blue Bank at Reelfoot with Billy Blakely. Was my first duck hunt. Had a great time. There were 6 of us, all neighbors and the guide and his helper.

JThuntsalot

I am always willing to take new blood duck hunting. I will give you twice the hunt a guide will and will not charge you nothing but a smile on your face when you smoke your first mallard or pintail or whatever. We do pretty good killing but I very rarely hunt on weekends just mainly week days. We usually always have open shooting holes in our pit during the week unless it is a snow day.

JThuntsalot

Thumper said:
SteveMcCadamsMissyJohn_zpsb2531e0b.jpg

Scene from yesterday on KY.Lake
This was the second day of a two day hunt. my take as a newbie.
if standing shoulder to shoulder with 5-6 gunners plus one guide in a cramped blind is your idea of a duck hunt, then go for it. remember the guide has no control over weather & waterfowl traffic . it was truly a learning experience, especially when my only shot taken over the two days brought down a nice mallard drake was stolen by another hunter & guide was silent.
http://www.stevemccadams.com/hunting_info.htm

Thumper, I used to have 3 blinds in the same area you hunted with mcadams.

Thumper

JT , it did look like a good location with several blinds in view. we heard a good deal more shooting from other locations across the river. many high fast flyers but only a few gave us a second look. ..This child (old man)has been bitten by the bug for sure !

NBF7240

Send out a big thanks to tophat for a great hunt the last couple of days. Seen many ducks and shot a few. He is a great guy and a pretty darn good cook.......

If you guys are wanting to get into the sport, but don't know where to start, holler at Shane, he will hook you up.

Thanks again

Latest posts