Osceola

PickettSFHunter

Made the long drive to hunt a WMA quota hunt in South Florida this weekend. Got down there Thursday night so I could scout around on Friday. I heard one bird Friday but quickly found out that area is where almost all the hunters would be heading too so I started looking for alternatives. Both Florida quota hunts I have been on have been insane and make me wonder why I keep applying 😂 People were lined up at 3AM vying for a good spot in line. Drag racing once the gate opens, bringing along kids that don't care about hunting so the dad can use the guest permit, drinking beer waiting on the gate, way too many permits for the habitat, etc. Anyway, I found a spot with a nearby private pasture that had some hens in it of an afternoon, and a creek about 2 miles deep on the public. On opening morning, my guest and I worked our way down the fence line toward the creek and heard one start hammering back toward the truck and private pasture. We hustled back and got between the gobbler and the pasture and lightly called, getting a gobble back most of the time. During that, another hunter worked in on the other side of the gobbler. We closed the distance some out in the palmettos and the gobbler went silent. After just a few minutes we saw two red heads poking over the palmettos practically running looking for us. I shot one first and my buddy picked up the spare. With that, we walked out, broke camp and headed back with one morning of hunting. That was the limit for this WMA quota.

Attachments

• 14180F37-F97D-4087-8833-ACEAC422A82E.jpeg
    14180F37-F97D-4087-8833-ACEAC422A82E.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 287
  • 03C40768-A277-461B-9D1D-FDE5E1021C35.jpeg
    03C40768-A277-461B-9D1D-FDE5E1021C35.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 5A56A34B-89E0-4F5D-97FC-6928D02B5275.jpeg
    5A56A34B-89E0-4F5D-97FC-6928D02B5275.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 657C6F66-2A28-4C19-B017-8F8BA6F59029.png
    657C6F66-2A28-4C19-B017-8F8BA6F59029.png
    552.3 KB · Views: 304

Atchman2

Made the long drive to hunt a WMA quota hunt in South Florida this weekend. Got down there Thursday night so I could scout around on Friday. I heard one bird Friday but quickly found out that area is where almost all the hunters would be heading too so I started looking for alternatives. Both Florida quota hunts I have been on have been insane and make me wonder why I keep applying 😂 People were lined up at 3AM vying for a good spot in line. Drag racing once the gate opens, bringing along kids that don't care about hunting so the dad can use the guest permit, drinking beer waiting on the gate, way too many permits for the habitat, etc. Anyway, I found a spot with a nearby private pasture that had some hens in it of an afternoon, and a creek about 2 miles deep on the public. On opening morning, my guest and I worked our way down the fence line toward the creek and heard one start hammering back toward the truck and private pasture. We hustled back and got between the gobbler and the pasture and lightly called, getting a gobble back most of the time. During that, another hunter worked in on the other side of the gobbler. We closed the distance some out in the palmettos and the gobbler went silent. After just a few minutes we saw two red heads poking over the palmettos practically running looking for us. I shot one first and my buddy picked up the spare. With that, we walked out, broke camp and headed back with one morning of hunting. That was the limit for this WMA quota.
Outstanding!!!!!!!

SOUTHERN CHICK

That's awesome! Congratulations! I'm planning on going down again in a couple of weeks. It's always an adventure. Hunting different terrain. Last with gas prices around $4 I figured there wouldn't be as many out of state hunters but one small WMA had about 30 hunters in a mile stretch. Hopefully better luck this year.