Opinions on the M1A

cecil30-30

What is everyones thoughts on the M1A?Was pondering the thought of getting one, instead of another AR.I decided to pass on the AK.From what i have gathered is that they are very accurate.Anyone have on of these?

.444 Marlin

The M1A makes for a very very good sniper rifle and if you get a scout M1A, you would have a very very good close quarters hunting rifle even though they are heavier than ****.

I want 3 of them...
A SOCOM Scout M-1A
A National Match M-1A and
A White feather M-1A.

Locksley

The M1A makes for a very very good sniper and deer hunting rifle that shoots the Palma bullet and Varget in some tiny groups. The National Match rifle is even better than the standard rifle. The M-1A rifle is the logical rebuilding of the M1 Garand into the best service rifle in use any-where.
Locksley

firefox

I have three! One is a standard, 0ne a NM, and the other is a M25(glass only). They are extremely accurate due to the long sight-radius, it is forgiving. The only downside is that ammo is getting higher as well as components for reloading. I can print 2 inch groups at 100 yards from the bench with my standard with factory American-Eagle 150FMJ and it's iron-sights. I shoot the standard for the LC brass cased in AE ammo to load for my NM and M25. I'm not gonna tell you how small the groups are through my NM are at 100yds with iron sights...as I'm nearly certain you would call me a liar ;) As to the groups at 500 yards with the M25 you would just have to witness them :)

Tater

I had heard the quality went down when they ran out of USGI parts. I know fulton armory makes a highy regarded copy along with lrbarms

firefox

Cecil,
Any of the M1A variants are 'sniper-rifles' but the M25 has no iron sights. Mine will print better than my Remington 700 .308 5R at 100yds and shames it at 500 :D There are others out there that produce quality M14 variants...the wait time on the build is horrendous and warranty work is twice as long. I bought a bbl'd LRB and had Ronnie Morris build it up(a qualified M-14 'smith not too far from any of our homes) he is one of LRB's 'qualified' riflesmiths. Well my stick wouldn't print less than 6 inches at 100yds with FGMM 168gr...so I sent it in to LRB for a do-over...turned out the receiver was out of spec pertaining to the timing of the bbl threads and the rear-sight shelf. On a good note I told them to deposit the value of the rifle, my parts, and Ronnie's work into my account and keep the stick. Within 48 hours I had a deposit into my bank account for everything plus $100. I've also had warranty work to my Springfield M1A NM with Kreiger and McMillan turned out the rear-sight didn't track properly. I emailed my credintials from HP 'service-rifle' to SA Inc and had a new rear-sight by the next match. They did want me to send the rifle back in for a work-over but the next match was days away! Gotta love a lifetime warranty on a rifle ;)

Locksley

Locksley said:
The M1A makes for a very very good sniper and deer hunting rifle that shoots the Palma bullet and Varget in some tiny groups. The National Match rifle is even better than the standard rifle. The M-1A rifle is the logical rebuilding of the M1 Garand into the best service rifle in use any-where.
Locksley

Any of the M1A variants are 'sniper-rifles'with some a little better than others . I have a rifle obtained from sargent Hicks that is a nationaal match rifle built for him while he was shooting on the U S Army marksmanship unit . The sargent worked with me at the Post office for years and sold me the rifle cause I shot some targets at the time and he was dieing from agent orange cancer then.
Locksley

Latest posts