Only BSK and I could..

jmb4wd

Tillers are a grand idea if you have dirt, and dirt only!

If the food plot world, places you plant aren't always dirt, lol!!

BlountArrow

Yes, sir. Split my female shift wide open back in May...too rocky. Rocks too big, and I probably had the tiller leaning just slightly too far forward. What did you you do to yours? I found a reasonable price on tiller shafts on eBay. You might have a better avenue though.

spoon

Andy S. said:
Dang man, that sucks big time. Does the brand new tiller come with a warranty of sorts, or are you SOL?

SOL...but they were trying to fix it when they found one gear had 3 missing teeth, bent shaft and where the chain housing is, the bottom shaft is bent out.

Memphis tractor said they have never seen one this bad, so they gave me a great seal on a new one

Still haven't figured out how this could have happen as some of the rocks I hit didn't stop the tractor or tiller

BSK

If it's man-made, I can break it! Or catch it on fire...! Or get it hit by a train...!

Sorry to hear about your tiller A.Hall. For now, I'm sticking with Justin's chisel plow!

BSK

A.Hall said:
For now, I'm sticking with Justin's chisel plow!

I'm looking for a 4 chisel plow on springs

Justin's dragging a spring-loaded 9-tine chisel (with a 100 hp tractor I believe). I would love to get a 5-tine spring chisel for our 49 hp tractor.

jmb4wd

BSK said:
A.Hall said:

Justin's dragging a spring-loaded 9-tine chisel (with a 100 hp tractor I believe). I would love to get a 5-tine spring chisel for our 49 hp tractor.

The tractor I most commonly use is 65 hp and 4x4 and that chisel will load that tractor up! In soft ground it will spin all the wheels quite frequently. Especially when your at BSK's ripping those big rocks out of the ground!!!! Lol.

Honestly I feel kind of bad when a guy has a nice looking area for me to work up and when I get done it looks like a boulder field!!!

BlountArrow

I steer clear of chain driven tillers. Go with the gear driven if there is ever a next time. Many have a slip clutch too. Heck, I've even seen some chinese crap tillers that are belt driven!

BSK

jmb4wd said:
BSK said:
A.Hall said:

The tractor I most commonly use is 65 hp and 4x4 and that chisel will load that tractor up! In soft ground it will spin all the wheels quite frequently. Especially when your at BSK's ripping those big rocks out of the ground!!!! Lol.

With all your previous chisel work on our plots, I'm hoping our 49 hp 2-wheel-drive tractor can pull a 5-chisel.

Honestly I feel kind of bad when a guy has a nice looking area for me to work up and when I get done it looks like a boulder field!!!

And Justin isn't kidding about "boulder" fields. He's yanked rocks up out of my plots that it took two people to roll out of the field.

tellico4x4

Tore up a brand new Woods tiller in one use. Tried using it on a very compacted skidder road. There were no rocks there, but the ground was hard enough to make the tiller bounce off the ground! Took it back to where I bought it and they gave me another. As Justin said, "where you have dirt"....learned my lesson.

BlountArrow

Anymore, unless I have worked the ground the year before (still do it sometimes even then), I run a 6ft ripper across it just to break the ground up before tilling. The feet dig into the ground enough to help the tiller and as long as you don't have a ton of thatch or grass it works pretty well. If you do have a lot of thatch it can act as sort of a rake unfortunately. But, I try to burn the thatch off before hand.

Latest posts