Old paper shotgun shells

Tenntrapper

About 2 years ago I bought a few hundred paper 410 shells. This is loaded ammo. Honestly, I don't know if factory, or reloads. Anyway, finally got around to trying them squirrel hunting. First 3 shells failed to go boom. Walked back home and traded for some "modern" shells. My question is this...do these old shells go bad after a while or what? I've got hundreds of these things, bought with the hopes of smelling paper burn on cold, crisp morning. So far, my dreams of "the good ol days" is lost. And, FWIW, i also bought a few hundred in 12 gauge. Hope I didn't just waste my money. Any suggestions??

fairchaser

Hit or miss. Sometimes the powder can get stronger. Mostly they will swell up and get stuck in the chamber.

Tenntrapper

fairchaser":ymuojl24 said:
Hit or miss. Sometimes the powder can get stronger. Mostly they will swell up and get stuck in the chamber.
Do you mean when they fire? Or just in general. One was a little snug going in, but it came back out alright.

fairchaser

Hit or miss if they fire. I think humidity over time through a paper hull wets the powder charge and causes the powder to go inert. Did the primer fire?

Tenntrapper

fairchaser":gmvr9kcs said:
Hit or miss if they fire. I think humidity over time through a paper hull wets the powder charge and causes the powder to go inert. Did the primer fire?
No. Only sound was the hammer hitting the firing pin. I hit each of them twice. Never could get one to fire.

Tiny

Primers are likely bad maybe not all of them though.
I just bout guess em to be factory especially if they have a colored over shot card marked with shot size..
Although not if 410s did or not have em

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest posts