Old Fella

bowhunterfanatic

177190DF-B000-4286-AF21-01EBA269804E.jpeg
EFCB4DA5-2615-4B40-82FB-D0F6FD888C41.jpeg

We've got some history with this guy. He added an 8th point this year. We think he's 6.5 but know him to be a minimum 5.5. Unfortunately he seems to range shift away from our property and other family property nearby that we can hunt. He summers on us and then seems to disappear about the time he sheds every year. We are debating trying to shoot him with a rifle in August because that's likely the only way we will kill him. He's not a high scoring deer but a trophy none the less.

The second picture is from last year

Last edited:

Knothead

View attachment 84440View attachment 84441
We've got some history with this guy. He added an 8th point this year. We think he's 6.5 but know him to be a minimum 5.5. Unfortunately he seems to range shift away from our property and other family property nearby that we can hunt. He summers on us and then seems to disappear about the time he sheds every year. We are debating trying to shoot him with a rifle in August because that's likely the only way we will kill him. He's not a high scoring deer but a trophy none the less.

The second picture is from last year
"…….We are debating trying to shoot him with a rifle in August because that's likely the only way we will kill him……"

Curious as to where you hunt that this would be legal in August?

megalomaniac

Agreed, sure looks 5.5 last year. Not the best angle in this year's picture, but if he is the same buck I'd say he's 6.5!

Funny thing about those range shifters... some of them shift onto a property early fall where there is no hunting... effectively giving them a pass till next year.

I've got my eye on one that is 5.5 this year. He does that very thing, which has allowed me to photograph him every summer and watch him grow, although he's long gone by gun season. But if I get him figured out by end of Aug, he's getting an arrow sent through him this year on my farm!

Latest posts