Old Christmas traditions..................

FULLDRAWXX75

Well, in an attempt to revive some of the ole Christmas spirit of years past..............I decided several years ago to start making some Ole World Christmas foods to kinda set a spark or two going.

Three years ago it was Old English Minced Meat Pies, made with my very own venison not the can fruit crap they pass off as minced meat filling. They were a tremendous hit.

Last year was Homemade Eggnog............absolutely nothing like the store bought kind. Yet another huge hit.

Well, this year I am making Figgy Pudding w/ Cream Sauce.

It is in the oven now, in the steam bath baking for the next 4 hrs. I will post how it was.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

Yes you may..............LOL

Before I start with recipe, I need to tell a short story.

My aunts husband, "Uncle Bob" (his real name, not changed to protect the innocent, LOL) had an aunt that was a very wonderful cook, she was well known in the area for her exceptional cooking at church gatherings and outting.

Aunt Jenny passed away some time ago, actually when I was only a small boy. Uncle Bob has bought minced meat pies, tryied different filling, etc. and none have come close to his Aunt Jenny's recipe.

Until now..........He told me this was the closest thing to his aunt's recipe he had ever tasted. So, it has Uncle Bob's seal of approval. LOL

Ok, here goes.

1/2 lb of lean beef stew meat (I used venison)
2 tart baking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 C raisins
1 C dark brown sugar
1/4 C vinegar
2 T molasses
1 C currants
1/4 C apple cider (apple juice is accectable also)
1/4 C orange juice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp cinnamon
2 T rum

Pie dough for a double crust deep dish 9" pie

Preparation:

Place the beef in a saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer for about one hour or until tender. Cool, then run the cooked beef through a meat grinder or a food processor to grind coarsely. Place the meat in a large saucepan. Stir in all the remaining ingredients - except the rum and the pastry. Cook over medium heat almost to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Cook until the apples are very tender and the mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and let cool. Prepare pie dough for a double crust 9" pie. Line a deep 9" pie dish with rolled out dough. Spoon the minced meat pie filling into the unbaked pie shell. Scatter the rum over the pie filling. Roll out the remaining dough and place it on top. Flute the edges to seal the top crust to the bottom crust. Make a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape while baking. Bake in a preheated oven at 375� for 1 hour. Serve warm, garnished with whipped cream if desired.

Note: If you feel the filling is too dry, add a small amount of liquid(juice or cider)it should be slightly loose as it will firm up during the baking.

FDXX75