old bow or new bow

bellwood

Guys- I have not bow hunted in about 8 years, but my bow is a 20 year old PSE Spirit. I'm getting back into it next season and would rather not drop $600+ on a new one and all that goes with it. Assuming I put in the practice time, am I at a disadvantage compared to today's technology? I'm worried about arrow release noise and speed of arrow. Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

stik

that old pse will kill a deer just as dead as a new one. there are many limb saver products that help quieten a bow. carbon arrows will help some with the speed issue but many deer are killed every year with recurve/long bows shooting under 200 fps. practice is the main thing. unless you just want a new bow, what you have should be fine.

TheAirMan

Odds are you string and cables need to be replaced. So you would really need to figure the cost of a new set of them and having them installed. So you need to ask yourself do you want to put that money in a 20 year old bow. You can get out for under $600 easy if you want (for bow and accessories) and will have a bow that will kill deer just as good as the most expensive. I would look a the Mission bows, some of the lower end Parkers or the PSE Brute. You can catch deals on the accessories you need on ebay or other places.

Radar

Bows are much better than they were 20 years ago . You can fix up your old rig with new strings , etc. , but it still won't shoot like the newer rigs .

Unicam

If the limbs are worn or dry rotted be very careful drawing it for awhile. Had a friend almost loose an eye when a limb snapped. Think about pawn shops, you can get some awesome bows completely set up dirt cheap!

turkeyhunter64

I've got a 10 yr old PSE Carrea and it will shoot just as good as the new bows and I keep my money. Would be nice to have a new one but why spend the cash. Shoot what you got and if you are not happy then look at tradeing.

Radar

I would recommend shooting a few new bows at the pro shops , then deciding for yourself if you think a new bow is worth the money . ;)

LCU

bellwood said:
Guys- I have not bow hunted in about 8 years, but my bow is a 20 year old PSE Spirit. I'm getting back into it next season and would rather not drop $600+ on a new one and all that goes with it. Assuming I put in the practice time, am I at a disadvantage compared to today's technology? I'm worried about arrow release noise and speed of arrow. Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Some bows have come a long way in 20 years.
Old bows kill game,but some of the modern compound bow improvements are huge.
Go to a dealer and shoot a few to see if the difference to you is worth spending money on. May not be worth it to you,but yes they have changed.

Latest posts