Ohio public

Volbuck777

So I'm looking at heading up to Ohio now that season is over. I'm trying to find a good piece of public ground that I can do some scouting for next season. I've hunted up there once before but I was a teen and couldn't even tell you exactly where it was but I'm pretty sure it was Woodbury. I'm not trying to get anyones honey hole nor am I needing coordinates to a certain area. I would just like to get ideas on certain pieces of ground, from those that have hunted public up that way. I'm very much a diy hunter but thought I'd ask for opinions. To be honest I've had a tough year and didn't get to hunt near as much i usually do, I did kill a nice buck here in these East Tennessee mountains but I need a good trip away and revamp my obsession. I just don't have the desire as I used to, and I feel like if I get away on a good public hunt with a little camp it may be just what I need.

Speedwell-Hunter

So I'm looking at heading up to Ohio now that season is over. I'm trying to find a good piece of public ground that I can do some scouting for next season. I've hunted up there once before but I was a teen and couldn't even tell you exactly where it was but I'm pretty sure it was Woodbury. I'm not trying to get anyones honey hole nor am I needing coordinates to a certain area. I would just like to get ideas on certain pieces of ground, from those that have hunted public up that way. I'm very much a diy hunter but thought I'd ask for opinions. To be honest I've had a tough year and didn't get to hunt near as much i usually do, I did kill a nice buck here in these East Tennessee mountains but I need a good trip away and revamp my obsession. I just don't have the desire as I used to, and I feel like if I get away on a good public hunt with a little camp it may be just what I need.
does ohio have just over the counter tags for deer out of staters? just buy a tag and good to go hunt?

TX300mag

does ohio have just over the counter tags for deer out of staters? just buy a tag and good to go hunt?
Yes, although they've gotten expensive. You buy the license and then purchase the permits you want separately.

I quit going when it cost me over $400 to hunt three deer. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but for me it's too much for me personally to cough up every year on top of the TN NR license and fees.

Speedwell-Hunter

Yes, although they've gotten expensive. You buy the license and then purchase the permits you want separately.

I quit going when it cost me over $400 to hunt three deer. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but for me it's too much for me personally to cough up every year on top of the TN NR license and fees.
Agreed, that is too expensive

Bone Collector

the way I understand it is you can buy the license for $285 and then a tag for like $60 and shoot 1 buck. My brother is there now. Wish I could have went, but work...

wanted to go next year, but his daughter is getting married in October and we may not be able to swing it.
I do plan to go up one day, but don't know anything about it so I will follow.

I can tell you they have a list of WMAs on their DNR site and my brother called and the DNR folks did give him info. He also just knocked on a door and got permission on 115 acres, but it is January so most people are done and the deer are scarce. Despite that they have laid eyes on a couple of good ones.

TX300mag

the way I understand it is you can buy the license for $285 and then a tag for like $60 and shoot 1 buck. My brother is there now. Wish I could have went, but work...

wanted to go next year, but his daughter is getting married in October and we may not be able to swing it.
I do plan to go up one day, but don't know anything about it so I will follow.

I can tell you they have a list of WMAs on their DNR site and my brother called and the DNR folks did give him info. He also just knocked on a door and got permission on 115 acres, but it is January so most people are done and the deer are scarce. Despite that they have laid eyes on a couple of good ones.
$180.96 NR license
$76.96 NR either sex deer permit

Buzzard Breath

Screenshot_20230119-104055_HuntFish OH.jpg

Rackseeker

I have hunted Tranquility Wildlife Area, East Fork Lake State Park, and done some scouting in parts of the Shawnee State forest. Most of the bigger public land tracts get hammered pretty hard. If I were to go back I would go alittle further north. And find a area that had water access.

killingtime 41

Alabama,Kentucky,Ohio in no particular order I would like to check out someday. I just spend a fortune it seems on quota hunts trips 2.5 hours from the house. Go out of state and expense picks up drastically. Good luck on your trip whenever that's is. Man has to experience things in life. If he can afford it.

Rackseeker

If your not set on Ohio, I think you get more for your money in Missouri. Tons of public land, cheaper tags, and the people are alot more friendly in Missouri. I always felt uneasy in Ohio for some reason the couple years I was hunting up there.

Volbuck777

Alabama,Kentucky,Ohio in no particular order I would like to check out someday. I just spend a fortune it seems on quota hunts trips 2.5 hours from the house. Go out of state and expense picks up drastically. Good luck on your trip whenever that's is. Man has to experience things in life. If he can afford it.
I've killed good bucks in Alabama and Kentucky. I've hunted Ohio once and I've always wanted to go back. I'm hoping this next year I can get it all put together.

Volbuck777

If your not set on Ohio, I think you get more for your money in Missouri. Tons of public land, cheaper tags, and the people are alot more friendly in Missouri. I always felt uneasy in Ohio for some reason the couple years I was hunting up there.
Never hunted Missouri but it's on my list. I've pretty well got my sights set on Ohio.

Shed Hunter

I've only had time to go on two walks since moving up here for a few hours each walk, but I've already walked up on a 150-160" deer and found some very impressive sign

Attachments

• D5696F01-5AB7-4DF9-9F8D-EE7FA2B2E1B0.jpeg
    D5696F01-5AB7-4DF9-9F8D-EE7FA2B2E1B0.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 67
  • B79C7B1A-2628-4F10-9310-F6021739A986.jpeg
    B79C7B1A-2628-4F10-9310-F6021739A986.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 54DAD130-A69B-4A0B-A298-02438ED280AE.jpeg
    54DAD130-A69B-4A0B-A298-02438ED280AE.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 66
  • BF076B73-960B-4BB7-B6E0-F8190C85ACA1.jpeg
    BF076B73-960B-4BB7-B6E0-F8190C85ACA1.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 73

Shed Hunter

I knew you'd like it up there. When they start dropping I'm gona bribe you with a cheeseburger & beer to take me out shed hunting.
I don't really drink anymore but we'll definitely get out and look for some sheds. I've been slow about looking at the moment but will hit it full swing this upcoming weekend or next weekend. Some nice bones been picked up in Ohio but Saturday I tried a place that was giant hardwoods ridges and some thick clearcuts. Not enough bone on the ground to spend all day walking that yet lol

Ski

I don't really drink anymore but we'll definitely get out and look for some sheds. I've been slow about looking at the moment but will hit it full swing this upcoming weekend or next weekend. Some nice bones been picked up in Ohio but Saturday I tried a place that was giant hardwoods ridges and some thick clearcuts. Not enough bone on the ground to spend all day walking that yet lol

Those are the only places I know, so wear your comfy boots!!!

Latest posts