Food Plots Oh my aching back!

BSK

At 60 years old, I'm getting too old for this food plot work! 4,000 lbs of bagged lime and seed run through a little ATV spreader. Three days on a tractor. Then drag harrowing everything with a 180 lb chain harrow pulled behind and ATV. All of this solo. I'm about dead. But those plots sure look nice afterwards! Now I need rain.

Hopefully, this is my last year using bagged lime. Soon I should have my roads in good enough shape I can get a spreader truck back to my plots. Then serious liming and fertilizing is in order.

Attachments

• plots25.jpg
    plots25.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 102
  • plots26.jpg
    plots26.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 99
  • plots27.jpg
    plots27.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 95

BSK

Nice. What did you plant.
Older, existing plots, generic Round-up Ready soybeans. Newly bulldozed plots are getting Sunn Hemp, but I'm waiting on the seed to come in (special order through the Co-op).

Sunn Hemp plots will be turned under and planted for fall in mid to late August. I'll leave the soybean plots until late September before turning and planting.

megalomaniac

man, your prep work looks great!

bagged lime just sucks, amazing how 40 to 50lb bags start to add up when you lift 80 of them over the course of a day.

I've still got to put down another 1000 lbs of pelletized lime on one of my plots that still has a ph of 6.0 after already putting 2000 lbs down on it the past couple years. Just cant get a buggy, much less a lime truck back there.

BSK

bagged lime just sucks, amazing how 40 to 50lb bags start to add up when you lift 80 of them over the course of a day.
Loaded them one at time at Co-op into my truck. Then unloaded them at property. Then loaded them a few bags at a time into UTV and transported to fields. Then poured them one at a time into spreader. My back is killing me.

BSK

Unfortunately, running literally many tons of pelletized lime and fertilizer through my Herd seeder has finally killed it. Shaker gate can no longer shake. Gate is almost completely jammed. Motor is slowly going south. But then it's lasted for almost 20 years. Biggest downside is I priced a new one. With mount (albeit much improved mount over current one) is about $1,000. Ouch! Think I paid $350 for the one I have.

BSK

buy a cheap cone spreader for the tractor 3pt hitch!
Problem is, that would require switching equipment on the tractor. Often, I'm tilling a plot with the tractor, then seeding plot with UTV/spreader, then dragging with ATV. Then moving to next plot. Taking the tiller off and switching to seeder is time consuming and a SUPER hassle by myself.

BSK

Saw chance of storms for last night and this morning, so ran out yesterday and finished seeding what seed I have. And then, you guessed it, no rain. :(