Oak ridge hunt

losthunter

I applied for 2 of the oak ridge hunts and was just wondering what the odds are to get drawn. I've never been there and don't know anything about the place. Do alot of people hunt there?

hunter7272

losthunter":bbjkylj5 said:
I applied for 2 of the oak ridge hunts and was just wondering what the odds are to get drawn. I've never been there and don't know anything about the place. Do alot of people hunt there?
Your odds are pretty good but there are always alot of hunters walking around in woods....

TheLBLman

Buzzard Breath":10dvtvxy said:
37,000 acres / 1,050 applicants = 35 acres / hunter

Not that many show up, but you will see other hunters.

Over the years, I've noticed another "distinction" between those who generally deer hunt this particular WMA vs. many of the WMA's farther West in Middle & West TN:

Sometimes it seems a minority of the Oak Ridge deer hunters use tree stands.
A much higher percentage of them are "walkers", hunting on the ground, and they cover more ground, so there is a lot more "seeing" of other hunters relative to the hunter density there, at least vs. many other WMA's.

I believe the reason there's more ground or "stalk" hunters is two-fold:

1) A lack of scouting opportunities prior to the limited hunting opportunities ---- many are actually "scouting" (by stalk hunting) during the hunts.

2) Relatively fewer East TN hunters use tree stands (compared to West TN hunters) as East TN hunters are more accustomed to more mountainous terrain where tree stands are less useful, and much more walking is typically involved. The majority of those applying for the OR hunts will be from farther East TN.

Buzzard Breath

You can add another.

3) The WMA is adjacent and some of it is actually in the city limits of Oak Ridge with a bunch of lunch options and alot of hunters head into town to eat. This really increases the movement of hunters around noon. This is also the time I've seen and killed most of my deer there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

Yep --- I would definitely describe this as URBAN deer hunting, with all its pros & cons. :tu:

After a few years, about the time you figure out a few areas, you'll likely conclude the liabilities (and a myriad of continuously changing "special" rules, easily accidentally violated, and/or simply messing up your hunt) greatly off-set potential enjoyment or opportunity for hunting there.

Just for starters, imagine planning to hunt down a particular gated road (they're all gated), but no one shows up to open the gate until after sunrise. Sometimes security officers may decide to open more gates earlier (then tell the waiting hunters they can drive on down the road). Then a different "patrolling" officer may write you a citation for trespassing.

It's simply a "hassle" to hunt there, rife with potential liabilities, some legal ones, others just involve losing precious hunting time, or time period, as in being locked out an area you planned to hunt, or locked in an area when the gate was locked before you got out with your deer. Lastly, although a few portions may not be this way, much of the area also subjects hunters to what I would call noise pollution (typical of any "urban" hunting). It is not a "wilderness" or typical rural-setting WMA, despite the significant acreage.

That said, every year many hunters enjoy hunting there, and perhaps most have a good experience, at least on a per day of hunting. Just be aware of all the unique aspects regarding this WMA.

losthunter

Good info you all have given me. Maybe this hunt aint for me considering the driving distance. Im a ground hunter, So i do a fair amount of walking. Im not real good at figuring out how to pattern deer yet. Im more of a I hope something walks by hunter. lol. I hunt alot of mountainous areas and have trouble figureing out where the bedding and feeding areas are, since it could be anywhere in the mountains. My limited success hunting has been purely luck so far. Thanks for all the advice.

JeepKuntry

I was awarded 2 hunts last year with 0 preference points. Only got to hunt the 1st shotgun/ml hunt. Killed a deer. Didn't see the first vehicle within 1/4 mile of me. It's like anything else. Look away from most people. Go to places some avoid. I had knee surgery right before the 2nd draw hunt. Didn't want to put it off much longer due to discomfort and cost.

Poleaxe

TheLBLman":ymo0j9jy said:
Buzzard Breath":ymo0j9jy said:
37,000 acres / 1,050 applicants = 35 acres / hunter

Not that many show up, but you will see other hunters.

Over the years, I've noticed another "distinction" between those who generally deer hunt this particular WMA vs. many of the WMA's farther West in Middle & West TN:

Sometimes it seems a minority of the Oak Ridge deer hunters use tree stands.
A much higher percentage of them are "walkers", hunting on the ground, and they cover more ground, so there is a lot more "seeing" of other hunters relative to the hunter density there, at least vs. many other WMA's.

I believe the reason there's more ground or "stalk" hunters is two-fold:

1) A lack of scouting opportunities prior to the limited hunting opportunities ---- many are actually "scouting" (by stalk hunting) during the hunts.

2) Relatively fewer East TN hunters use tree stands (compared to West TN hunters) as East TN hunters are more accustomed to more mountainous terrain where tree stands are less useful, and much more walking is typically involved. The majority of those applying for the OR hunts will be from farther East TN.

Lol. Where'd your number 1 & 2 sensus come from?

Gator01

I been drawn 3 or 4 years in a row for the archery side and hoping to get drawn this year its a dang good hunt we manged to get 2 from there last year

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

khawk

Hands down my favorite WMA to hunt. I've only done the archery side and hunt the same Ridge year after year....been very fortunate over the past 13 years at that place. I'll always go back. I've been drawn for at least one hunt every year. You'll get drawn.

mattmillard510

It's a love hate relationship for me. I just wish it was longer than 2 days per hunt with more scouting time available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts