NWTF Tagging TN/ KY Turkeys

Union Co. Boy

I know of two local guys who have harvested tagged birds in Union County so far. Pretty sure they got a $75 Bass Pro Card for reporting as well.

woodsman04

The NWTF can piss off
I think their handling of "hunter recruitment" haha and the way they haven't done anything to help the population is a bigger deal than them actually helping bring the turkeys back.

They disgust me with their woke ness and promoting of more hunters and promoting that it is ok to cheat while hunting. I do not plan to give them another dollar while just maybe ten years ago I was as loyal of a NWTF guy as they come.

knightrider

I think their handling of "hunter recruitment" haha and the way they haven't done anything to help the population is a bigger deal than them actually helping bring the turkeys back.

They disgust me with their woke ness and promoting of more hunters and promoting that it is ok to cheat while hunting. I do not plan to give them another dollar while just maybe ten years ago I was as loyal of a NWTF guy as they come.
State agencies brought the birds back and nwtf exploited the h3!! Out of the resource, they done a few good thing but mostly laundered monies around into peoples pockets with smoke and mirrors while the poor saps in the "chapters" made king rob filthy rich

Setterman

State agencies brought the birds back and nwtf exploited the h3!! Out of the resource, they done a few good thing but mostly laundered monies around into peoples pockets with smoke and mirrors while the poor saps in the "chapters" made king rob filthy rich
Exactly, TWRA deserves all the credit and the NwTF just rides their coat tails.

Assholes, and the only reason people still support them is for damn sticker and because they have turkey in their name. Worthless ass organization

Don'tDrinkTinks

TWRA tagged close to two dozen in my neck of the woods.

Attachments

• 5E719FB0-B6FC-447C-AF50-48FF789B8D84.jpeg
    5E719FB0-B6FC-447C-AF50-48FF789B8D84.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 72

Huntaholic

About the only thing the NWTF did was provide cardboard boxes with huge NWTF logos printed on the sides when it came to the restocking efforts. Also, lets say a chapter raised 40K at a banquet, the only way to get any of that money back into the community was to apply to headquarters and beg for it. Then you had to account for where every penny went and there was no way you were getting back the majority of what you raised.
I quit the NWTF way back in the 80s and only got back into the shatshow maybe 15 years ago. I am now on the "eh whatever" level and I only lack 1000 bucks or so being a "lifetime sponsor member" or whatever they call it now.
We no longer have a local chapter and I havent been to a banquet in a couple years now. Its all about the Benjamins folks.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
My buddy killed one this year in Sullivan that was banded. He called and reported it but no one was available to take his call in the middle of the day during the work week. He's never heard back from anyone and that was 1st week of season..lol

megalomaniac

Im not a fan of NWTF, but if they want to spend some of their millions on legit research, I'm all in favor of that!... what UT (and hopefully NWTF) are starting to focus on is what types of habitat are most attractive for nest site selection, but then comparing nest site selection vs what actually results in a successful incubation and hatch. THEN you get to study those nests that hatched to see what habitats produce the best brood habitat success rates of getting poults to survive until August.

It's all very frustrating... we went all out and hammered the coyotes and raccoons since Nov. Actually had a comeback in rabbits we haven't seen in 2 decades on 1 farm. Bushhogged the winter plots to get ready for summer plots and rabbits running everywhere. And then 4 hawks moved in while bushhogging and destroyed the young rabbits :( we need to lift the federal ban on raptors!!!!

knightrider

Im not a fan of NWTF, but if they want to spend some of their millions on legit research, I'm all in favor of that!... what UT (and hopefully NWTF) are starting to focus on is what types of habitat are most attractive for nest site selection, but then comparing nest site selection vs what actually results in a successful incubation and hatch. THEN you get to study those nests that hatched to see what habitats produce the best brood habitat success rates of getting poults to survive until August.

It's all very frustrating... we went all out and hammered the coyotes and raccoons since Nov. Actually had a comeback in rabbits we haven't seen in 2 decades on 1 farm. Bushhogged the winter plots to get ready for summer plots and rabbits running everywhere. And then 4 hawks moved in while bushhogging and destroyed the young rabbits :( we need to lift the federal ban on raptors!!!!
Its not habitat, nothing has changed here for hundreds of square miles, they aint get out of the egg and if they do they are being snatched from above! When a dozen do hatch and maybe two make it to a month old it's pretty obvious! There is more raptors than there has ever been and they all have turkey on the menu

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I have seen a hawk at my house basically stalking a brood. I ran him off every chance I got.

megalomaniac

Its not habitat, nothing has changed here for hundreds of square miles, they aint get out of the egg and if they do they are being snatched from above! When a dozen do hatch and maybe two make it to a month old it's pretty obvious! There is more raptors than there has ever been and they all have turkey on the menu
Agreed... but do you think predators are gonna magically disappear just so turkeys can reproduce?

What we need to find out is what habitats allow increased nesting success despite increased predator populations, and likewise what habitats afford poults a chance to live despite the increased predator populations.

As crazy as it sounds, it's easier to manage for ideal habitat than it is to decrease predator populations (legally... there are some VERY effective/easy methods of eliminating predators, but they come with heavy fines and jail time if caught)

Latest posts