North Georgia trout trip

woodyard

One of the wild trout from the Cohutta WMA, small but pretty.

Holly Creek at the southern edge of the wma.

The Conasauga River in the Cohutta Wilderness Area.

Had a good trip chasing wild trout with my son that drove up from Athens,GA. The fishing was good except the catching in the Conasauga was not good, Much better the second day on Holly Creek in the Cohutta WMA. Catching was much better after figuing them out. Fished the flyrod all weekend.
Ruger, you need to to the mountain streams sometime.

Buzzard Breath

woodyard":i9zprzf4 said:
One of the wild trout from the Cohutta WMA, small but pretty.

Holly Creek at the southern edge of the wma.

The Conasauga River in the Cohutta Wilderness Area.

Had a good trip chasing wild trout with my son that drove up from Athens,GA. The fishing was good except the catching in the Conasauga was not good, Much better the second day on Holly Creek in the Cohutta WMA. Catching was much better after figuing them out. Fished the flyrod all weekend.
Ruger, you need to to the mountain streams sometime.

Good looking trip.

FYI, You were too far downstream on the Conasuaga. You need to be closer to the headwaters. Here's a report I made on it from several years ago. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/ ... presidente

woodyard

Buzzard, do you remember the trail name yall went down? CInasauga river trail at Betty's Gap , or Chesnut Lead trail or , Tearbritches trail . We used the Hickory Creek trail which is below those. thanks for the heads up.

CATCHDAWG

woodyard":1ig2cnr2 said:
Buzzard, do you remember the trail name yall went down? CInasauga river trail at Betty's Gap , or Chesnut Lead trail or , Tearbritches trail . We used the Hickory Creek trail which is below those. thanks for the heads up.
See if you can Chicken coop gap on your map, the fishing really starts picking up from there upstream. The Conasauga is a hard stream to fish anywhere but I agree with Buzz, you were way to far downstream. There are some huge Browns in there "if" you can catch them. Thanks for the pics, looks like a good trip!

CATCHDAWG

woodyard":ro9dnga3 said:
And btw, Hickory creek trail goes to Jacks river, not the Conasauga if you were at the dead end road.

woodyard

Catchdawg,I was going by Jimmy Jacobs book and he had it listed as the Hickory Creek trail. My forrest service map doesn't have trail names. It is at the end of FS 630 and the trail goes down and runs beside Rough Creek to the Conasauga. We were up river from Chicken Coop Gap a pretty good ways.

CATCHDAWG

woodyard":1h5x9gfu said:
Catchdawg,I was going by Jimmy Jacobs book and he had it listed as the Hickory Creek trail. My forrest service map doesn't have trail names. It is at the end of FS 630 and the trail goes down and runs beside Rough Creek to the Conasauga. We were up river from Chicken Coop Gap a pretty good ways.
Ahhh... Gotcha. You were on fish but like I stated, it's a hard stream to fish. I haven't been there in years. If you ever want to come to the Tennessee side give me a holler. I'm pretty familiar with all the streams in South Cherokee. Got a couple of brookie streams that would rival or surpass anything in the park. ;)

woodyard

We knew it was gonna be tough fishing. I think we just wanted to see if I could hike in and out about 2 plus miles one way while packing waders,shoes, lunch ,drinks,and fishing tackle without laying down. :lol:
Kind of a side note when we were about finished and ready to come out we met two guys. One said he had a hurt foot and his buddy had got both pack frames with a lot of camping gear down there . We decided he was a better guy than either of us, we might have toted a fishing rod for somebody, but no way all of his camping gear. :lol:

Buzzard Breath

woodyard":2c53iqd2 said:
I'll have to grab a map and look it up. The first time I fished there, I dropped down in the same place as you and have almost that same picture. ;)

Latest posts