No. 2 last night

eddie c

I will type out the details later today, just wanted to show you #2 from last night. I got to go to work shortly.
bowseason08027.jpg

eddie c

I got a few minutes here at work so here we go with the story.

first let me say, this was on public land within sight of my office. I try to head out after work ever chance I get. the spot I picked out to hang an old stand that I dont care if someone takes it(like they did last year after season was over), I located during late season/post season scounting last January.
this was the second time this year I hunted this spot( i got 3 picked out). I got in the stand about 5:10, checked the GPS for sunset time, 6:12. good I thought 1 to 1-1/2 hrs to hunt. about 6:30 I had just thought about getting ready to head out when they showed up, all 6 of them with at least one fawn in the bunch. they were not wasting any time. I picked this one out and she got thru my first shot window too fast and briefly stopped in the second one. NOTE: I SAID BRIEFLY! right when I dropped the string she started trotting again and I noticed gut shot and thought I saw the arrow drop out of her side on the run. the rest of the deer just stood there. I actually had to run them off before I got out of the stand. I took a compass reading of the last place I saw her. after I got down I checked the shot site, no arrow. after replaying the shot 3 times(in the dark it isnt an easy thing to do) I located blood.
Note to everyone, the blood light on the Gerber light is useless, but you know that. as long as the batteries are strong the white light aint too bad.

Ok, back to the story. I was slightly surprised at the amount of blood that was on the ground for the shot placement. actually more shocked. I was able to follow it pretty well but was still wondering where my arrow was. then I reconized a certain group of cedar trees and briar patch and that triggered my worse fear, she was heading to some of the thickest mess in the area. about that time there was a big spot of blood and I had a sick feeling that I jumped her from her bed and she made it to the thick mess. 10 yards later there she was. the BH had cut a 1" deep gash in the front of the ham, entered the pauch and was resting on the far side hide, arrow was not broken. the arrow had done the 'picket fence' routine on all the trees and brush, cutting an artery. found her at 8pm with the coyotes hollering while I was feild dressing.
for reference in size, my longbow is 66" long.

Latest posts