nikon scopes

deerkiller07

has anyone had any problems with a nikon buckmaster scope,this is my second one ,the first one never sighted in so i sent it back and they fixed it. when i got it back it wouldnt sight in either so i sent it back and they gave me a new one and it has been fine until about three weeks ago, now its off again and its scattering all over.when i first shot it this year it was cutting holes at 100 yards then i missed a nice buck, so i shot it and its off and wont group at all. i am shooting off of a led sled, you can hold it perfectly on the target.i am shooting it on a weatherby 7 mag, has anyone had any problems like this?

FULLDRAWXX75

Are you sure it is a scope problem..............check to make sure there is nothing loose on the gun.....rings, screws, etc.

FDXX75

Do the basics first, check the simple stuff first.

deerkiller07

this scope has been on there for about 6 years. i get it out the years before shoot one time and it is on. this year it was off with the previous bullets so i tried the 160 grain nosler partition bullets and it was cutting holes until that nice buck walked out.

Deerhunter

Use Nikons on most my hunting rifles, Buckmasters and pro staffs mainly for several years.Sounds like a screw loosened up somewhere but impossible to tell without having your gun in front of us.

XMAN

is the gun clean, i had one do the same but would cut holes if you cleaned it every 8 shots or so.....

deerkiller07

question for yaLL,are the rings supposed to be closed all the way down without any gaps.when i put the scope on about 6 years ago i tightened them really tihgt but they still had a gap. can you tighten them all the way down without stripping or twisting them off.

Tiny

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Are you sure it is a scope problem..............check to make sure there is nothing loose on the gun.....rings, screws, etc.

FDXX75

Do the basics first, check the simple stuff first.

I agree with the above, also check your ammo same loads and lot #.

However "Lead Sled" aren't good for rifles or scopes.

Tiny

Wes Parrish said:
Tiny said:
However "Lead Sled" aren't good for rifles or scopes.
Tiny, please eloborate.

The Lead Sled does lmint felt recoil to the shooter however it doesn't allow for the rifle to move freely which casuses more pressure on the stock and scopes.

stik

deerkiller07 said:
question for yaLL,are the rings supposed to be closed all the way down without any gaps.when i put the scope on about 6 years ago i tightened them really tihgt but they still had a gap. can you tighten them all the way down without stripping or twisting them off.

too tight rings have destroyed many scopes. the recommended torque is 17 IN/lb.

TheLBLman

Tiny said:
The Lead Sled does limit felt recoil to the shooter however it doesn't allow for the rifle to move freely which causes more pressure on the stock and scopes.
Part of why I went with the Burris Extreme Tactical Mounts & Rings with my last scope-mounting.

To what extent do you think point-of-impact is effected (say at 200 yards) by using the Lead Sled over a non-weighted bench rest?

stik said:
the recommended torque is 17 IN/lb.
I think this varies with different ring brands.

Tiny

Wes Parrish said:
Tiny said:
The Lead Sled does limit felt recoil to the shooter however it doesn't allow for the rifle to move freely which causes more pressure on the stock and scopes.
Part of why I went with the Burris Extreme Tactical Mounts & Rings with my last scope-mounting.

To what extent do you think point-of-impact is effected (say at 200 yards) by using the Lead Sled over a non-weighted bench rest?

Can't say nor have an opinion on how much difference there would be.

I do think there would be some difference in the zero with the sled vs sand bags or another type of rest,reason stock fit to the shooter would be different. Of coarse it is different using one of the recoil pads such as the Past,reason I don't use one to check zero for hunting.How much differece it makes I can't say as I only use one for loads work ups and then I really don't care if the scope is dialed in dead on as it dosen't matter, close is good enough for load work.

Never used the sled nor intend to for the reason I posted above. IF I wanted to take Shooter Error out I think the Hyskore rests with recoil dampers would be a better way to go.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... stid=58901

BTW if a rifle placed the smae on any rest or the rest isn't placed the same each shot accuracy and impact will change.

medwc

I have always used ONLY nikon scopes. Never had a problem with Nikon. I had a ploblem like yours. I finally figured it out, had oil in the treads of the scope mount holes and very slowly it would loosen up. Clean the holes good and no more problems.

Latest posts