Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x40 adjustment ?

pullemfar

OK, finally got all my scopes mounted and today I sighted them in. The BDC200 worked quite well, 3" grps @ 100 yrds with Lightfield slugs from my Mossberg 500 20ga, so no complaints there.

Now for the issue I'm having with the scope on my XT22. Doing the sight in of the Nikon Prostaff EFR 3-9x40, each time an adjustment had to be made the following shot would be a flyer, high/low/L/R, it would be no where near where the adjustments should've had them. POA and POI where not jiving, however all the follow up shots afterward would be POA/POI. At 50 meters I achieved consistent dime-nickle size grps with Rem Golden Bullet and CCI SV. Considering the XT22 isn't well known for superb accuracy, those consistent groupings are acceptable to me. It will do until I can get a CZ452 in the gun cabinet. But what has me baffled is the adjustment flyers, has anyone else experienced this before and if so, what did you do. I know I pretty much have two choices, either send it back to Nikon or just quit making adjustments and shoot it.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

ROVERBOY

It sounds like there might be a problem with the scope. Nikon makes a good product and will probably stand behind it. I'd try sending back to them and see what they say.

TNRifleman

MUP":1enl6hnp said:
The adjustment wasn't "seating" until the shock of the first shot after adjusting sounds like, if the adj made came in correctly on subsequent shots that is.

Everytime I make an adjustment on a scope, I always give it a light bump with my fist. Not really sure if it matters but my uncle taught me the trick and told me it was to seat the adjustment.

Jcalder

I've got a friend after every adjustment he bumps the butt of the gun on the ground or table. All my nikons do what I wanted to without anymore abuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pullemfar

Appreciate the responses fellas. I tried all the methods mentioned above including tapping on the turrets after making the adjustments and even going several clicks beyond the needed clicks and then back, same outcome. I'm gonna send it back, it's brand new out the box so all the above methods shouldn't be required.

pullemfar

Just some info for anyone that may encounter the same issue I'm having. I talked with the Nikon sport optics tech today and as per their troubleshooting policy, he told me to do a "factory mechanical reset" which is as follows. Bottom out each turret and the run each all the way out while counting the clicks which equaled 192 clicks and then divide that by half and go back that many clicks which equaled 96. Prior to doing that I just turned the turrets back and forth several times at the direction of the tech. That folks is a "factory mechanical reset". By doing that he stated that that should loosen any gears, etc that may have been "over tightened". We'll see on Sunday when I take it to the range and I'll report back with the results.

pullemfar

Finally got out to the range Saturday. I did the recommended "factory mechanical reset" which is just bottoming out each turret and then run each all the way out while counting the clicks, then divide that by half and go back that many clicks, I call this a mechanical zero. Prior to doing that I just turned the turrets back and forth a few times. By doing that it suppose to loosen any gears, etc that may have been "over tightened". Well it worked like a charm. Initially, I was off the bottom of the paper about 3" and to the left about 2", so I was hitting the target frame. I made the needed adjustments and it put me 1/4" left of center, added one more click and that put it spot on. Once I got it on paper @ 25yds and dialed in, I took it on out to 50, see the results below. I'm shooting Eley 40gr HP Subs. I am sure a more competent shooter can get her tighter than that. I was shooting off my backpack, had it been in a vise, maybe I could've gotten a much better grp. That orange square in the center is 1/2", so I think Mister Tree Rat is in for a bad day.

Attachments

• Resized_20161105_103311.jpeg
    Resized_20161105_103311.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,598

Hardwoodmaterials

I had that problem with a scope before. I was told by the manufacturer that there is dry lube inside and it settles if left setting too long. Running the adjustments to the edges and back spreads the lube around like its supposed to be and corrects the issue. I have no idea if that's true but it sounds logical to me and it corrected the issue with that particular scope.

Latest posts